|February 13, 2019||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||LU||LIP|
|FG Percentage||.491 (26-53)||.368 (21-57)|
|3P FG Percentage||.286 (6-21)||.167 (3-18)|
|FT Percentage||.696 (16-23)||.913 (21-23)|
COOPER - 5
Caleb Homesley - 3
PEPPER - 2
MORAN - 2
PEPPER - 1
FLEMING - 1
NASHVILLE – For the first time in 2019 the Lipscomb men’s basketball team walked off the court in defeat as the Bisons had their 11-game winning snapped Wednesday in a 74-66 loss to Liberty in Allen Arena.
The Bisons (20-5, 11-1 ASUN) and Flames (22-5, 11-1 ASUN) now sit tied for first place in the league standings after splitting the two regular season meetings.
Lipscomb struggled from the floor most of the night against the nation’s fifth-best scoring defense, shooting 37 percent overall and a season-low 17 percent from long distance.
Seniors Rob Marberry and Garrison Mathews led the Bisons offensively. Marberry scored a game-high 22 points, while Mathews added 19.
Less than five minutes into the game, Liberty took an 8-7 lead on a tip-in from Scottie James and never looked back. They took advantage of the off-shooting night for the Purple and Gold and took an 11-point lead into the half at 38-27.
Back-to-back baskets to open the second half quickly pushed Liberty’s lead to 15 before Lipscomb could find an answer. Mathews scored five straight points to jumpstart a 9-0 run for the Bisons, but the Flames would find a way to answer down low with the trio of James, Caleb Homesley and Myo Baxter-Bell.
James led Liberty with 15 points and kept possessions alive with four offensive rebounds. Caleb Homesley added a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds while Baxter-Bell shot 5-of-6 and came away with 11 points in 18 minutes.
Baxter-Bell converted back-to-back layups with eight minutes remaining to extend Liberty’s lead back to 14.
Over the next seven minutes, Lipscomb would make its final push with a 16-4 run after a pair of free throws from Mathews to make it a 64-62 game. However, Darius McGhee nailed a clutch 3-pointer from the corner to stretch the lead back out and sink the Bisons on their home floor.
- The loss snapped a 19-game win streak for the Bisons against ASUN opponents.
- Lipscomb trailed at the half against an ASUN team for the first time since Jan. 27, 2018 at NJIT.
- It was the first time the Bisons trailed at home to an ASUN team since March 2, 2017 when they hosted North Florida in the ASUN semifinals.
- Lipscomb’s 66 points were a season low, and its 27 points scored in the first half match a season low.
- The Bisons, who rank seventh in the nation averaging 18.0 assists per game, were credited with only nine, which is the second-fewest of the season.
- Ahsan Asadullah scored 13 points for Lipscomb and grabbed four rebounds in 16 minutes.
- Kenny Cooper added 10 points and five rebounds, but recorded just a single assist.
- The Bisons connected on just 3-of-18 from long range, matching their season low against Tennessee State in the second game of the season.
- Lipscomb finished 21 of 23 from the charity stripe and outrebounded Liberty 35-32.
- The bench for the Flames outscored the Bisons 24-13.
Lipscomb hits the road this weekend for a matchup with Kennesaw State at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday.