BRASELTON, Ga. – The Lipscomb men’s golf team finished the 2016 Atlantic Sun Conference championship strong to finish third on Tuesday to close the three-day event hosted at Chateau Elan in Braselton, Georgia.
“We finished on the last nine holes today a lot better than we did yesterday,” said Lipscomb director of golf Will Brewer. “It was a great team effort for us although we couldn’t quite get everyone on the same page on the same day but that’s the way golf is sometimes. I am pleased with how we finished after yesterday.”
The Bisons shook off a rough finish on Monday with a -1, 287 on Tuesday to conclude the championship with a +11, 875 (289-299-287). Kennesaw State claimed the league title behind and even-par 864 (283-291-290).
“The guys have made a lot of progress and worked really hard,” said Brewer. “That really showed today. We could have packed it in but we went out and fought all day and tried to finish well. Mikey (Feher) and Eric (Ansett) got off to a good start and Stoney played well.”
The third-place finish tied the all-time best finish for the Bisons in the A-Sun championship that was set in 2015 at Chateau Elan.
- Mikey Feher led the Bisons on the final day of action behind a -3, 69 that tied for the best round of the day. Feher finished the tournament tied for 22nd with a +10, 226 (77-80-69).
- Eric Ansett and Dawson Armstrong tied for eighth overall as the duo claimed +3, 219’s to finish in the top-10. Ansett carded rounds of 71, 78 and 70 while Armstrong posted rounds of 75, 69, 75.
- Stoney Crouch tied for 15th with a +5, 221 (70-78-73).
- Hunter Howell rounded out the competition for Lipscomb with a +14, 230 (73-74-83) in a tie for 26th.
- Jacksonville’s David Wicks took home medalist honors after finishing with a -4, 212 (70-72-70).
Up next: Currently ranked No. 56 in the GolfStat rankings, the Bisons hopefully await an at-large bid to the NCAA Regional Championships hosted around the nation May 16-18. The selection show will air on May 5 at 8:30 a.m. on the Golf Channel.