BURLINGTON, Iowa – The Lipscomb men’s golf team opened the 2016 Golfweek Conference Challenge on Friday with a strong first round at the Spirit Hollow Golf Course in Burlington, Iowa.
"Today was a good day overall," said Lipscomb director of golf Will Brewer. "We made a lot of birdies early. The team responded really well after our play in Memphis earlier in the week. We're only four shots out of third. All in all, I thought we played pretty well."
- The Bisons opened the three day, 54-hole event with a +1, 289 in fifth place.
- Eric Ansett led the day for Lipscomb with a -3, 69 to tie for fourth just one stroke behind the leaders.
- Stoney Crouch finished even par in a tie for 17th.
- Hunter Howell followed just one stroke behind Crouch with a +1, 73 tied for 24th.
- Dawson Armstrong ended the day two strokes back of Howell in a tie for 36th with a +3, 75.
- Mikey Feher rounded out the competitors for the Purple and Gold with a +4, 76 in a tie for 45th.
- San Jose State paced the 12-team field on Friday with a -10, 278.
- Will Barnett and Scott Munger from San Jose State along with Texas A&M’s Chandler Phillips sit atop the leaderboard.
- Round two of the tournament will get underway at 9 a.m. on Saturday for Lipscomb.
- Golfweek featured the team on Thursday here: http://golfweek.com/2016/09/29/college-lipscomb-lineage-dawson-armstrong-nations-improved-programs/
- Live scoring is available at http://www.golfstatresults.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=teamPlayer&tid=11159