WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif. – The Lipscomb men’s golf team wrapped up action in the 2017 Southwestern Invitational on Tuesday with a strong, third-place showing at the North Ranch Country Club in Westlake Village, California.
“This was another good outing for us, for sure,” said Lipscomb director of golf Will Brewer. “We’re starting to believe in what we are doing. There were a number of things we could have done better but I’m very satisfied and confident that we are growing as young men and golfers.
“Eric (Ansett) and Stoney (Crouch) really stepped up this week and Mikey had a great round yesterday. I think the way we are preparing is helping us as we get to these events. I think confidence is growing but the main thing is we are gaining relevancy and gaining respect.”
The Bisons trailed only host Pepperdine and No. 6 USC in the final standings behind a +2, 866 (292-282-292) performance.
- Stoney Crouch led the way for Lipscomb with a -6, 210 (71-69-70) to finish in a tie for fifth USC’s Rico Hoey, the 25th-ranked player in the country.
- Eric Ansett and Mikey Feher followed eight strokes back of Crouch with +2, 218’s to tie for 17th. After opening with rounds of 73 and 75, Ansett shot a -2, 70 on Tuesday. Feher carded rounds of 74, 68 and 76 in the 54-hole event.
- The Bisons made a late surge to reclaim the third-place slot as Ansett eagled his final hole to go along with birdies by Crouch and Feher.
- Dawson Armstrong tied for 34th in the event behind a +7, 223 (74-70-79).
- Jake Dines rounded out the competition for the Bisons with a +19, (80-79-76) in a tie for 71st.
- The third-place finish marks the highest finish in the history of the event for the Bisons.
- Host Pepperdine claimed team honors with a -21, 843 (275-281-287) on their home course finishing 15 strokes ahead of USC.
- Pepperdine’s Sahith Theegala took home medalist honors with a -10, 206 to win by one strokes.
Up next: The Bisons travel to Athens, Georgia on March 13th for the Southern Intercollegiate.