NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s golf team fought off a concerted effort from No. 22 Ole Miss to claim the team championship of the inaugural Ryman Hospitality Intercollegiate on Tuesday at the Richland Country Club in Nashville, Tennessee.
“This was very exciting for us on a very, very challenging two days,” said Lipscomb director of golf Will Brewer. “We basically had PGA Tour greens from a standpoint of speed and firmness. We rose to the occasion.
“It’s a great feeling with all of the work we have done over the last two years to prepare for this. This is a testament to our team and how mentally strong they are.”
The Bisons claimed the unique Fender guitar trophy behind a +7, 859 (284-290-285) topping the Rebels by three strokes. It was a team effort for Lipscomb to tame the challenging Jack Nicklaus designed course as four Bisons finished in the top seven of the event.
- Dawson Armstrong led the way in the tournament for Lipscomb with a -1, 212 (72-71-69) to finish in second as one of just two players to finish below par. Armstrong finished behind Ole Miss’ Braden Thornberry, who blistered the field with a -14, 199 (65-69-65).
- Stoney Crouch played a large role in the win on Tuesday as well with a final-day, 3-under 68. That final round of 18 moved him to third place with a +1, 214 (73-73-68).
- Eric Ansett also posted a top-5 effort finishing fifth with a +3, 216 (69-73-74).
- Mikey Feher finished just one stroke behind Ansett in a tie for sixth with a +4, 217 (70-73-74).
- Hunter Howell rounded out the squad for the Bisons with a +15, 228 (75-75-78) tying for 25th.
- The win is the third for the Bisons this season having previously won the Southern Intercollegiate and the Bridgestone Match Play. It also marks the ninth time in 11 outings that the team has finished in the top-5.
Up next: The Bisons head to Braselton, Georgia on Sunday to participate in the ASUN Championship at Chateau Elan.