COLLEGE GROVE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s golf team is set to open play in the NCAA College Grove regional on Monday with an 8:40 a.m. tee time at the Grove Golf Club in College Grove, Tennessee.
The Bisons enter the event on the heels of being named the 20th-ranked team in the nation by Golfweek following the completion of spring competition. It also marks back-to-back appearances in the NCAA tournament after Lipscomb competed in the Tuscaloosa regional just a year ago.
“We have really worked hard from Jan. 12 until today,” said Lipscomb director of Golf Will Brewer. “The team is very focused and very intentional about everything that we are doing. Our focus has been a little different since we have been here before and I think I have been a little calmer this year. I’m confident that we are going to do well.”
“Last year was a bit of a learning curve and we learned a lot and we grew a lot. I think we’re at a different maturity level as a team and that’s what is exciting to me. That should help us rise to the top.”
The trip will be a short one for the Bisons as the Grove sits just 29 miles south of the Lipscomb campus off interstate 840 between Franklin and Murfreesboro.
- Lipscomb will be joined in the 13-team field by: No. 1 Vanderbilt, No. 2 Texas Tech, No. 3 Clemson, No. 4 Georgia, No. 5 Missouri, No. 7 Kennesaw State, No. 8 UCF, No. 9 Middle Tennessee, No. 10 TCU, No. 11 Troy, No. 12 ETSU and No. 13 Harvard.The Bisons No. 6 seed is the highest seed of any team in school history.
- Lipscomb will tee off beginning at 8:20 a.m. on Monday playing alongside Georgia and Missouri.
- The Grove Course will play par 72 at 7,333 yards.
- A map of the course is available here: http://goblueraiders.com/documents/2017/4/28//NCAAGolfMap.pdf?id=13141
- The three-day event features 18 holes each day.
- Lipscomb’s last appearance at the Grove came in October 2015 when the team finished second in the Intercollegiate at the Grove. The Bisons finished behind Kentucky in the nearby event.
- 81 teams make up the championship field. The top five teams in each region will advance to the NCAA Championship hosted at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, Illinois. The top individual not on one of the five advancing teams will also move on to the championship.
- The Bisons look to build upon the 2016 NCAA Tuscaloosa Regional where the squad posted an 8th-place finish in the team’s first NCAA postseason appearance.
- Monday will mark the third-consecutive appearance in the NCAA tournament for junior Dawson Armstrong, who made the field as an individual in 2015 becoming the first Bison to do so.
- Live scoring will be available at: http://scoring.golfstatresults.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=12648