COLLEGE GROVE, Tenn. – It was a tale of two halves on Monday for the Lipscomb men’s golf team in the opening round of the NCAA College Grove Regional hosted at the Grove Golf Club in College Grove, Tennessee. The Bisons put together a 3-under effort to start the day on the back nine placing the squad near the top of the leaderboard, but woes on the front nine found the Purple and Gold tied for eighth with a +7, 295 for the day.
“Today was tough,” said Lipscomb director of golf Will Brewer. “We had a really good first nine holes then we turned to the front side and had a couple of hiccups here and there. We made some mistakes and it cost us. We feel like we have plenty of time over the next 36 holes to do what we need to do though.”
Holes 6-8 were extremely challenging for the Bisons as Lipscomb lost seven strokes as a team over the three holes.
- Armstrong led the charge on the back nine with a quartet of birdies. A one-over effort on the front nine saw the junior end day one of the three-day event tied for sixth with a -3, 69.
- Stoney Crouch fired an even-par 72 to end the day tied for 17th. His 16 pars led the tournament on day one.
- Eric Ansett finished three strokes back of Crouch with a +3, 75 after running into a quadruple bogey on the seventh hole.
- Mikey Feher and Hunter Howell each finished the day with +7, 79’s in a tie for 66th.
- The Bisons will tee off beginning at 8:55 on Tuesday from the 10th hole playing alongside No. 25 Missouri and No. 11 Texas Tech.
- Lipscomb led the tournament in pars on Monday with 57.
- 2 Vanderbilt leads the field by six strokes over UCF after posting a -9, 279.
- Vandy’s Patrick Martin played a large role in that as he sits tied atop the leaderboard with Clemson’s Bryson Nimmer behind -6, 66’s.
- Live scoring for round two will be available at http://www.golfstat.com