COLLEGE GROVE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s golf team used a pair of course records on Tuesday to climb six spots on the leaderboard and end the day tied for second with Clemson and UCF at the NCAA College Grove Regional at the Grove Golf Club in College Grove, Tennessee.
Junior Dawson Armstrong led the charge with a collegiate course record -7, 65 that helped the Bisons notch a new team record at the course with an -11, 277. Armstrong sank nine birdies on the day as he moved up from sixth place to sit atop the leaderboard by one stroke heading into Wednesday’s final round.
“I didn’t really know what to expect today,” said Lipscomb director of golf Will Brewer. “They came out very focused and determined today. Everybody stood up today with the tougher conditions. The wind was blowing much harder over the last 10 holes. We kept it together, played well and made some putts. I’m really proud of the way they stood up today like men.
After struggling on the final nine holes on Monday, Brewer saw marked improvement over the same stretch on Tuesday.
“We were much better today. We talked a little bit about strategy beforehand and what we should do if the conditions merited. They stuck to that. They saw where they made their mistakes yesterday and they weren’t going to make the same mistakes today.
“We had a lot of red on the board today, which is what we needed. This course lends itself to a lot of birdies but it also lends itself to high scores too if you’re a little offline.”
- Armstrong owns a one-stroke lead over Vanderbilt’s Patrick Martin heading into the final 18 holes. He leads the field with 16 birdies.
- His 65 tied the all-time course record at the Grove.
- Stoney Crouch continued to show steady play as he posted a one-under, 71 on Tuesday after an even-par effort on Monday. He is tied for 12th with a -1, 143 (72-71) and leads the field with 29 pars.
- Hunter Howell was a big part of the Bisons ascension up the leaderboard on Tuesday as he followed up Monday’s +7, 79 with a two-under, 70 to move him to a tie for 41st with a +5, 149.
- Mikey Feher also carded a below-par effort with a -1, 71 to move him to a tie for 44th with a +6, 150.
- Eric Ansett also is tied for 44th after posting a +3, 75 for the second-straight day.
- The Bisons will tee off beginning at 8:35 on Wednesday from the 1st hole playing alongside No. 2 Vanderbilt and No. 14 Clemson.
- Vanderbilt leads the field by eight strokes.
- Live scoring for round three will be available at http://www.golfstat.com