SUGAR GROVE, Ill. – The Lipscomb men’s golf team opened play in the 2017 NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Championship on Friday at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, Illinois.
“We learned today that the golf regional course is hard,” said Lipscomb director of golf Will Brewer. “We missed a few little shots that we weren’t supposed to and it cost us dearly. I think we counted two triples and a double today and that’s uncharacteristic for us, but it’s just a challenging golf course.”
The Bisons carded a +12, 300 to end the first day of action. Junior Dawson Armstrong and Eric Ansett led the way with even-par, 72’s.
“We don’t have any excuses,” said Brewer. “We just did not have a great day. We were a little careless on a few things and I think we’ll straighten that up. Hopefully we’ll come out tomorrow and start out with a lot of birdies.”
An extended lightning delay prevented the second flight of teams from finishing their first round on Friday. Those teams will resume play at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday to complete the opening round. Round two will then begin immediately following the completion of the first round. Lipscomb currently sits 28th.
- Junior Eric Ansett finished one stroke behind Armstrong with an even-par, 72.
- Ansett led the team with five birdies on the day.
- Mikey Feher posted a +6, 78.
- Stoney Crouch carded a +7, 79.
- Hunter Howell rounded out the competitors for the Bisons with a +10, 82.
- The Bisons will tee off at 1 p.m. on Saturday for the second round of competition.
- For up to the minute scoring visit: http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/team/static/ncaateam12623.html