SUGAR GROVE, Ill. – Lipscomb junior Dawson Armstrong climbed 15 spots on the leaderboard behind a quintet of birdies on Saturday as the Bisons finished the second day of action at the 2017 NCAA Men’s Golf National Championship at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, Illinois.
Armstrong goes into the third round of the championship tied for 14th with Kyle Tate of UCF and Matthew Perrine of Baylor at five-under. The trio sit three strokes back of Texas’ Scottie Scheffler, who leads the field with a -8, 136 after carding back-to-back rounds of 68.
“I knew Dawson would play well today,” said Lipscomb director of golf Will Brewer. “He was playing well yesterday and got very little out of his round. Today he hit it well, putted well and processed well. He also had a great positive attitude about what he was doing. I was very pleased with his play.”
The Bisons were nine strokes better as a team on Saturday. Lipscomb heads into Sunday with a +15, 591 (300-291) in 25th.
“This is a hard golf course and it will penalize you if you miss in the wrong spots,” said Brewer. “If you make a couple of mistakes and don’t manage well, you are going to make bogeys and that’s the true test of a great championship golf course. We were really close to having a really good round. We’ll come back tomorrow and hopefully have a special round and see what happens.
- The Bisons moved up three positions on the leaderboard on Saturday.
- Hunter Howell also posted a solid round on Saturday with an even-par effort after an eagle on 18 gave him a 72. He heads to Sunday with a +10, 154 (82-72).
- Mikey Feher finished the day with a +3, 75 to put him at nine-over for the tournament.
- Stoney Crouch followed just one stroke behind Feher to end the second round with a +11, 155 (79-76)
- Eric Ansett carded three birdies on the back nine to notch a +7, 79 on the day. Ansett is seven-over par going into Sunday’s round.
- Lipscomb will get underway on Sunday at 12:40 p.m. off hole number 10 hitting the course with Purdue and New Mexico.
- UNLV leads the event by one stroke over Oklahoma at -14.
- For up to the minute scoring visit: http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/team/static/ncaateam12623.html