SUGAR GROVE, Ill. – A third round, even-par 72 was strong enough for Lipscomb junior Dawson Armstrong to make the cut on Sunday afternoon at the 2017 NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Championship at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, Illinois and advance to the final round of stroke play on Monday that will air on the Golf Channel live beginning at 3 p.m.
“Today’s round was close to being something a lot better,” said Armstrong. “The first few holes nothing was there for me. I hit a lot of good putts today but sadly, they didn’t fall for me. Hopefully they’ll all fall for me tomorrow and I can put myself back into contention.”
Armstrong advances as one of the top-nine individuals on a team that did not make the cut to 15. He heads into the final round that will determine the individual national champion seven strokes behind Texas’ Scottie Scheffler, who carded his third consecutive round of 68 to put him at 12-under. Armstrong sits at five-under after an even-par round on Sunday in a tie for 17th.
“We played with the top-30 teams in the country and stood toe-to-toe with them,” said Lipscomb director of golf Will Brewer. “We did not have a good week on the greens. I could not be prouder of these guys. They stood up as men, did what they had to do and gutted it out.
The Bisons tied for 24th overall with Penn State behind a +27, 891 (300-291-300).
“I don’t know where we are going to finish in the overall rankings, but we’re a top-25 team,” said Brewer. “I know that and I’m really proud of how this team has come together.”
- Armstrong will tee off from hole No. 1 at 12:40 p.m. on Monday in the final round of stroke play at Rich Harvest Farms.
- The Bisons finish is the highest for any Lipscomb sport in the NCAA Division I era.
- Stoney Crouch matched Armstrong on Sunday with an even-par round, his best of the tournament. He finished with a +11, 227 (79-76-72) in tie with fellow Bison Eric Ansett for 117th.
- Ansett finished with a final-round 76 to complete his 227 (72-79-76).
- Mikey Feher finished six strokes back of Crouch and Ansett with a +17, 233 (78-75-80) in a tie for 144th.
- Hunter Howell rounded out the competitors for the Bisons one stroke behind Feher with a +18, 234 (82-72-80) to finish tied for 146th.
- For up to the minute scoring visit: http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/team/static/ncaateam12623.html