SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Led by a 2nd-place finish from senior Dawson Armstrong, the Lipscomb men’s golf team posted a 5th-place finish on Sunday in the Maui Jim Invitational at the Desert Forest Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Entering the day with a one-stroke lead, Armstrong fired a one-under 71 to finish the tournament with a -7, 209 (71-67-71), but it would not be enough to hold Arizona State’s Alex Del Ray Gonzalez. The Sun Devils player notched seven birdies on the day for a -7, 65 to finish with a -10, 206 and a 3-stroke win over Dawson Armstrong.
- With a +2, 290 on Sunday, the Bisons finished the event with a +6, 870 (293-287-290), two strokes ahead of Minnesota.
- Eric Ansett finished tied for 18th with a +2, 218 (71-73-74).
- Hunter Howell gained six spots on Sunday with his second consecutive one-under, 71 to give him a +4, 220 (78-71-71) and a tie for 22nd.
- Jake Dines finished tied for 62nd with a +19, 235 (73-78-84).
- Davis Armstrong rounded out the competitors for the Bisons with a +30, 246 (96-76-74) after his best round of the tournament on Sunday.
- Del Ray Gonzalez helped lead No. 21 Arizona State to a 1-stroke victory over No. 18 Georgia Tech.
Up next: The Bisons return to action Oct. 9-10 in the Bayou City Classic in Houston, Texas.