HOUSTON, Texas – The Lipscomb men’s golf team took home top honors on Tuesday in the 2017 Bayou City Collegiate Classic in Houston, Texas behind Dawson Armstrong’s medalist effort.
The Bisons took home top honors by eight strokes over Arkansas State as Lipscomb finished with a -15, 849 (285-285-279). Dawson Armstrong picked up his eighth career medalist honor with a -12, 204 (67-70-67) to win the event by four strokes over UTSA’s Zander Lozano.
"I'm extremely pleased with our performance this week," said Lipscomb director of golf Will Brewer. "We started out a little bit suspect early in the first round and found ourselves in a position where we had to dig ourselves out, but obviously the last nine holes every day we played well.
"I'm very excited for Dawson and Jake (Dines). They were our most valuable players this week. Jake has really been looking for an opportunity to compete and really worked hard this summer. He came in this year focused and prepared to do what he's doing."
- The Bisons also got a top-10 performance out of Jake Dines, who posted a career-best, 8th-place finish with a -3, 213 (75-69-69).
- Eric Ansett finished just three strokes back of Dines with an even-par, 216 (71-71-74) to tie for 14th.
- Hunter Howell soared up the leaderboard 25 positions on Tuesday after carding a final round -3, 69. He finished the event with a +5, 221 (72-80-69).
- Davis Armstrong tied for 77th with a +17, 223 (78-75-80).
- Dawson Armstrong led the tournament in Par 4 (-6) and Par 5 (-7) scoring.
- The senior also tied for the lead with 16 birdies in the event.
- Lipscomb led the tournament with 54 birdies in the 54-hole event.
Up next: The Bisons travel to Atlanta on Oct. 16-17 for the Autotrader.com Collegiate Classic