BRASELTON, Ga. – Despite a steady rainfall throughout, the Lipscomb Bisons torched The Legends Course at Chateau Elan on Sunday to finish day one of the 40th ASUN Conference Men’s Golf Championship in Braselton, Georgia in second place.
The Bisons turned in a -2, 286 to give them their best opening-round total in program history in the ASUN Championship. They are just one stroke behind leader North Florida and 10 strokes ahead of two-time defending champion Kennesaw State in third.
Leading the charge for the Purple and Gold were seniors Eric Ansett and Dawson Armstrong. Just one day prior, the duo were being honored as the ASUN’s Scholar Athlete and Golfer of the Year, respectively.
Ansett topped the leaderboard after recording five birdies en route to shooting a -4, 68. His lone mistake in the round was a bogey on the par-3, third. Birdies on the next two holes and pars on the last four put the Spokane, Washington native on top of the leaderboard.
He led the field on par 4’s with 3-under total, while his 1-under mark on par 5’s was the third-best.
Armstrong was not far behind, carding a -3, 69 to put himself into a three-way tie for second. Things could not have started any better for Armstrong as he drained two birdies and an eagle on his first five holes to get to four-under par. However, a triple on the par-3 sixth dropped him back.
He led all players in the field with a 3-under total on par 5’s.
The three-time ASUN Golfer of the Year and defending ASUN Championship medalist bounced back with three birdies on the final nine to put himself in prime position entering the second round on Monday.
- Senior Hunter Howell helped the Bisons in a big way by shooting a +1, 73. He ended the day tied for ninth after notching four birdies and five bogeys.
- Lipscomb and North Florida are the only teams with three players in the top-10 after round one.
- The Bisons also got a strong round from freshman Paul Swindell as he turned in a +4, 76, despite getting the day started with a double-bogey on the first hole.
- Fellow rookie Linus Samuelsson wrapped the first 18 holes of action tied for 27th with a +7, 79. Teeing off on No. 10, he shot even-par on the back nine before two doubles and three bogeys led him to a 43 on the front side.
- Armstrong’s eagle on No. 14 was the only one of the day for the entire ASUN field.
- The Bisons led all teams in par-5 scoring. They shot -7 for a 4.65 average. UNF was -4 (4.80).
- The 17 birdies from Lipscomb was also a team-best in round one.
- Armstrong and Ansett tied North Florida’s Dillon Woods to lead the field with five birdies on the day. Howell was tied for fourth with four.
- 26 North Florida carries a one-stroke lead into Monday after firing a -3, 285 in round one. The Ospreys were led by Andrew Alligood and Woods, who each shot -3, 69.
- Ansett is the second straight Bison to lead the ASUN Championship after day one. Armstrong carded a -5, 139 (70-69) a season ago when the league played two rounds on the first day of action.
- Monday’s round two is currently scheduled to start no sooner than at least 11 a.m. after the forecast calls for heavy rain over night in the north Georgia area. Officials will meet in the morning and an update will be provided at approximately 8:15 a.m.
- Live scoring for round two will be available at GolfStat.com