Bisons enjoy record-setting day in 7-0 win over Centenary
Sunday, October 23, 2005

Oct. 23, 2005

Box Score

Records, we've got records.

On a cold, raw, rainy gray Sunday afternoon the Lipscomb Bisons soccer team shut down visiting Centenary 7-0.

Scott Mason, a defender converted to midfield this season, scored four goals for the Bisons setting a new school record. He also had an assist on the first goal of the game by midfielder Kevin Terry.

Terry set a school season record with his third game-winning goal of the season. Terry also had an assist on Mason's third goal, the sixth of the game.

Goalkeepers J.D. Murphy, Robert Mott and Jake Goergen combined for the shutout, the first for the Bisons since Oct. 19, 2003 when the Bisons beat visiting Jacksonville 1-0. Mott made three saves. Goergen made one. Murphy did not make a save.

The Bisons had 24 shots overall, 13 in the first half and 11 in the second. They recorded 13 shots on goal.

The seven goals were the most scored in one game in the history of the program. The one-game total also equals the number of goals the Bisons scored during the entire 2004 season.

"In every area of the game we did a great job," said Lipscomb Coach Charles Morrow. "We executed our chances. We didn't stop. We were relentless. These guys realize they are a good team with the ability to finish chances."

Centenary goalkeeper Donnie Henderson made six saves.

The first Bisons goal was made at 7:01 of the first period when Terry got behind the Centenary goalkeeper for the score.

"He got behind the keeper and beat him to the ball," Morrow said. "He got the ball over the keeper. It wasn't an easy finish."

Mason's first goal put the ball low to the right side of the net at 15:42.

One of the more dramatic goals was the third one at 28:07. Defender Micah Johnson made a free kick that was headed into the net by midfielder Ryan Walker.

"It was good to see Ryan get a goal," Morrow said.

At 33:38 midfielder Michael Spencer went down the right side of the field, cut into the middle and passed it to Mason who put in the net with his left foot to close out the first period scoring.

At 54:40 of the second period the Bisons scored off of corner kick by Jorge Suarez that Xander Vooys put past the goalkeeper on the ground.

Mason got the hat trick with a line drive high from about 18 yards out off of an assist by Terry.

Mason scored the final shot off of a pass by Nathan Warren which went to the left of Henderson.

"Mason had been playing more in the back," Morrow said. "He has been playing a more offensive role at midfield, and he has done well with it. I think he is more natural with it. He had a great game today because he finished his chances."

The Bisons are 4-8-1 overall. Centenary, from the Mid-Continent Conference, is 3-10-0.