Bisons beat Western Kentucky 1-0 on penalty kick
Thursday, September 14, 2006

Sept. 14, 2006

Final Stats

Lipscomb forward Ben Page connected on a penalty kick at the 23:05 mark of the first period to lead the Bisons to a 1-0 victory over visiting Western Kentucky University Thursday night.

Western goalkeeper Pat Rickman made a diving move to the right and Page hammered the shot in to the left side of the goal mouth. Page had a game-leading five shots and also a game-leading three shots on goal.

"I was pleased," said Lipscomb coach Charles Morrow. "We did well with the chances we had. The chances we created were quality chances."

Freshman Bisons goalkeeper Danny Prichard earned his second straight shutout, making five saves.

"We knew Danny was going to be good coming in," said Morrow. "We just didn't know how he would transition to the college game, but he has done pretty well. He had to do it early on.

"He is good with his feet. He has good range. We are very deep at that position."

Western Kentucky out-shot the Bisons 14-8. The Bisons held a 6-5 advantage in shots on goal.

"The big thing is that we were focused and we worked hard," said Morrow. "Defensively, we put a game together for 90 minutes.

"Offensively, we didn't create or possess the ball like we have in other games this season. But Western Kentucky is a physical team. They work hard. They did a good job of putting us under pressure."

The Bisons are 3-3-1. Western Kentucky is 1-3-1.

Sunday at noon the Bisons are back in action when UNC-Asheville visits. The Lady Bisons host Murray State at 3 as part of a double-header.

"We can definitely take some things away from the Western game to work on in getting ready for Sunday's game. I have heard this is the best team they have had in recent years.

"It will be a game similar to the Western game. They have a few dynamic players here and there. It will be a team that does the simple things well. It will be another team that works hard for 90 minutes. We have to get ready for them."