Bisons shut down Belmont 2-0 to open A-Sun play
Saturday, September 30, 2006

Sept. 30, 2006

GALLERY Final Stats

Defender Scott Mason has been part of the Lipscomb soccer program for so long that he is called "Pops" by his teammates.

So it was only fitting that Mason would score the first goal of the game Saturday afternoon at Belmont in the Atlantic Sun Game of the Week. And it was even more fitting that the goal would proved to be the game-winner as the Bisons shut down their rival from down the boulevard by a 2-0 score at the Whitten Soccer Field.

"It was a big win, but what makes this big is the timing of it," said Lipscomb coach Charles Morrow. "If we had lost this game the mindset next week would be that we have to at least split our next two games. Now the mindset is we can take them both. Maybe we can snowball some confidence.

"It was good for Scott to get a goal. He plays the back well, but he would rather play somewhere else. He is playing as a defender for the good of the team."

The Bisons are 4-1-1 in their last six games. The loss ended a four-game unbeaten streak for Belmont this season.

"The guys fought and played hard and were organized, but we were fortunate," said Morrow. "The game changed after we scored. The first five minutes they were coming at us. In the next five minutes we adjusted to the game and were playing well and put away an opportunity."

Mason admits he almost got a little bit emotional as he scored a little over 12 minutes into the game for his first goal of the season. Kezi Lara earned the assist.

"It was a great feeling," said Mason who is from Long Beach, Calif. "My parents couldn't be here so this was for them.

"I'm just glad that we won. It didn't matter if it was 1-0 or 2-0. It was a real good team effort."

It was the Bisons second victory in the 10-game series. The last time the Bisons won was in 1994, the first time the two teams met on the soccer field. Ironically, six of Belmont's wins in the series had been by shutouts.

"The only time we had ever beaten them was in the spring," said Mason. "This was a perfect way to start out in the conference. It was the `Game of the Week.' And we showed that everyone needs to be afraid of us because we are coming out flying."

Freshman goalkeeper Danny Prichard earned his third shutout of the season tying him for the conference lead in that category with Belmont's Kyle Roelke. Prichard was credited with four saves. The Bisons connected on two of their three shots on goal. The lone save was credited to the team.

"For us to shut out Belmont is huge," said Morrow. "It was somewhat of a defensive battle. It was hard for either team to create quality chances. They out-shot us 14-5, but the five shots we had were good opportunities. Belmont's stat is a little misleading because they were under pressure to score from the start."

The Bisons got an insurance goal with 9:34 left to play when Jeff Boynton stole the ball just inside the midfield line and broke out all alone setting up a one-on-one with Roelke. Boynton kicked the ball into the wide side of the net as Roelke moved out of position for the block.

"Jeff had a great week of practice," said Morrow. "He came off the bench and got an opportunity. He read what was going on pretty well. Jeff had all the time in the world to take his shot. I was really proud of the way he played."

The Bisons are 5-4-1 overall, 1-0 in the A-Sun. Belmont slipped to 4-6-1, 0-1 in the conference.