Bisons tie Mercer 2-2 in intense A-Sun match
Saturday, October 7, 2006

Oct. 7, 2006

Final Stats GALLERY

Lipscomb Bisons soccer coach Charles Morrow got the team effort he has been looking for, but he didn't get the win he wanted.

While admitting that a 2-2 tie with visiting Atlantic Sun foe Mercer was probably a fair outcome for the game, he also had to count the number of missed chances for the Bisons, especially in the second overtime period.

"We would have liked to have won, and we had an opportunity to win," said Morrow. "It was nice to see the guys playing as a team instead of being individualistic at times. The guys who are playing as individuals are not doing it to be selfish. They feel like they have had to carry the team. Ben has had that role for a couple of years."

The Bisons took the early lead when forward Ben Page scored one-on-one with Mercer goalkeeper David Bird at 24:39 of the first half.

Vicente Arze scored the tying and go-ahead goals for Mercer at 26:56 and 36:49 of the first half.

Page scored on a penalty kick at 37:31 of the half. He led the team in shots with six and had all three shots on goal for the Bisons.

The Bisons had 13 shots overall. Mercer was credited with 15 shots and six shots on goal.

"Both the goals he scored on were not created by him," said Morrow. "On the penalty kick it was Alexi Achilleos who drew the foul. And it was Alexi who fed him on the first goal. Both were created by our midfielders. Ben just finished them off."

The two teams played 65 scoreless minutes to close out the game.

"Our fitness and the depth of our bench is a key for us," said Morrow. "It is readily seen by the results we have gotten in overtime and the way we play in overtime. I thought we were going to end it a couple of times in overtime."

This was the sixth time this season the Bisons have played an overtime game and their second double overtime game. They are 3-1-2 overall in overtime.

"We knew about their key players, and we didn't do a great job dealing with them early on," said Morrow. "That is how they got their goals.

"We just didn't finish opportunities. There was a time in the second half when we gave them some good opportunities and they missed."

One of the key misses in the closing minutes of the second overtime was shot by Scott Mason that went across the goal mouth from the left to the right but went wide of the net.

"It would have been nice to see Scott win it," said Morrow. "He was probably the player of the game. We played him at center back, outside back and midfield. And everywhere he played he was an impact player."

The Bisons are 5-5-1, 1-1-1 in the A-Sun. Mercer is 3-8-1, 1-2-1 in the conference.