Bisons beat ETSU 2-1 on DaSilva's penalty kick
Friday, October 10, 2008
Bisons beat ETSU 2-1 on DaSilva's penalty kick
The Lipscomb Bisons ran their unbeaten streak to four with a 2-1 win Friday night over ETSU in an Atlantic Sun Conference match at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.

In their three previous matches the Bisons had beaten Wofford 1-0 and tied Belmont 1-1 and Evansville 0-0.

The Bisons entered the game with a 117 RPI rating, their highest ever, the highest of any team in the Atlantic Sun Conference.

“We didn’t play too well,” said Lipscomb coach Charles Morrow. “I’ m not too happy with the performance.

“We have played better. But a conference win is obviously huge. We will take it and look to improve.”

The Bisons struck first on a goal by forward Garret Pettis at the 19:70 mark of the first half. Forward Andrew Chamberlain was credited with the assist.

“Andrew beat a guy on the outside, got around the edge and crossed the ball in,” said Morrow. “Garret beat his defender to the near post and put the ball away.

“If I can say anyone did well it was Andrew. I thought he did well taking advantage of their guys out wide pretty consistently.

ETSU tied the game at 1-1 at 36:56 of the first half when midfielder Kyle Franklin scored on the deflection of a crossing pass by forward Russell Thompson.

Bisons forward Miguel DaSilva scored on a penalty kick at 83:58 for what proved to be the game-winning goal.

The Bisons attempted 25 shots, seven were shots on goal. Pettis led with four shots and also led in shots on goal with three.

ETSU had only two shots on goal with 11 shots overall. Still, Morrow was disappointed in the defensive effort.

“We didn’t do a great job with defending in general,” said Morrow. “I think we gave up too much of the play in midfield. Normally, we do a better job of retaining possession.

“We had a couple of individual defending issues that were glaring. We didn’t give up a lot of good opportunities. We gave up a couple of opportunities that didn’t result in shots on goal that maybe a better team would have put away.”

Patrick Walsh was in goal for the Bisons for the win.

“ETSU fought hard,” said Morrow. “They are not getting the results they want, but they are not lacking for effort.”

The win lifted the Bisons to 5-5-2 overall, 1-0-1 in the Atlantic Sun. ETSU fell to 4-6-0, 0-3-0 in the conference.

“We try to build on every game,” said Morrow. “This was not a performance we can look back on and say we got better as we try to position ourselves for postseason.

“The goal is to improve on a weekly basis and game-to-game. We didn’t do that. Our players are happy about the win, but I don’t think they are happy with the way we played.”

The Bisons are back home Sunday afternoon at 2:30 when A-Sun foe USC Upstate visits. Prior to the start of the game, the Bisons will receive a “Special Recognition Award from the NCAA honoring the team for their gesture last season of presenting the Bradley soccer team with a jersey honoring a player they lost in a tragic accident.

“Saturday we will address some things in training,” said Morrow. “It will probably be more intense than your normal Saturday kick around. We need to adjust our mentality.

“There are a number of things you could point to. I think the effort was there, but the focus it is going to take to do what we want to do was not there.”