Bisons rally late to salvage a 1-1 tie against Berry
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Bisons rally late to salvage a 1-1 tie against Berry
For the second season in a row forward Andrew Chamberlain scored the first goal of the season for the Lipscomb Bisons.

But last year Chamberlain’s goal was the first of four in a 4-0 season-opening win at Gardner-Webb. This time around Chamberlain’s goal was the only one the Bisons could muster in a 1-1 tie with Berry College Tuesday night at the Lipscomb soccer practice field.

The game was played at the Lipscomb soccer practice field on Franklin Pike due to problems with the surface at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex on campus.

“Berry played well enough to score a goal that almost held up,” said Lipscomb coach Charles Morrow. “Not to take anything away from Berry, but I don’t think we played well. I don’t think we gave Berry the respect that they deserved.

“Initially I didn’t feel like the effort we needed. If you don’t have a good, healthy respect for who you are playing it will catch up with you.”

Berry scored at the 23:57 mark of the first period when senior midfielder Jan Weeg scored on a shallow cross from right to left to beat Bisons goalkeeper Brent McGee.

“At that point we played into how Berry wanted the game to go,” said Morrow. “There were parts of the game where we showed a glimpse of how we could play.”

Chamberlain dribbled in from 18 feet out and beat Berry goalkeeper Daniel Bullock who dived to his left to block the attempt. Chamberlain, however, shot the ball to the right side of Bullock for an unassisted goal at 87:31 of the second period.

“It wasn’t until we went down a goal that there was the realization that we could lose the game,” said Morrow. “We did some things that were better after we gave up the goal. They did a great job of getting numbers behind the ball and we were fortunate to get a goal back.”

The two teams battled through two 10-minute overtime periods, but neither team could find an opening.

McGee made seven saves for the Bisons. Bullock stopped nine shots for Berry.

Chamberlain led the Bisons with nine shots, including three shots on goal. The nine shots were a career high for the sophomore.

Senior forward Luis Salazar led Berry with four shots.

The Bisons outshot Berry 29-14 and held a 10-8 edge on shots on goal.

It was the regular season opener for both teams. Berry is a former NAIA team starting to make the transition this season to NCAA Division III.

The Bisons are back in action this weekend as they make the short trip down the boulevard to participate in Belmont's tournament. They will play Oral Roberts Friday Sept. 4, and Marshall Sunday (Sept. 6) at 1.

“We have a long way to go,” said Morrow. “Certainly, it was not the way we wanted to open the season. I think the Berry game will be a good learning experience for us.”