Bisons open A-Sun portion of season with 2-2 tie with Campbell
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Bisons open A-Sun portion of season with 2-2 tie with Campbell
The Bisons opened the Atlantic Sun Conference portion of the season with a 2-2 tie with Campbell at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex Thursday night in double overtime.

“To go up twice and come away with a tie at home is difficult,” said Lipscomb coach Charles Morrow. “You expect that you can hold a lead at home. I can’t say that we deserved to win letting the two goals in that we did.”

It was the second overtime game of the season for the Bisons. The game was the A-Sun opener for both teams. It proved to be a surprisingly physical game as well.

“It was certainly a hard-fought game,” said Morrow. “Here at the start of the conference season everything is there to play for.

“Both teams lacked the guy who was going to put his foot on the ball and settle the game. It was played at a frantic pace. We don’t mind getting physical, but that is certainly not the game we want to play.”

The Bisons struck first in the game when forward Miguel DaSilva scored from the left side from about six yards out at 16:12 of the first half.

Campbell answered with a goal from Justin Smith at 37:21 to tie the game at 1-1 in the first half.

In the second half Alexander Faulk entered the game and scored on a header off of a corner kick from Deven Bahadoorsingh at 81:01. It was the third goal of the season for Faulk and was almost his third game-winning goal of the season.

Faulk, a freshman, leads the Bisons in scoring this season.

“He works really hard,” said Morrow. “There is something to having a nose for the ball and knack for scoring. It is probably best to not try to understand it.”

However, with 2:28 left to play Ben Hames found the net for Campbell to tie the game.

Patrick Walsh started for the Bisons in net and gave up one goal while making two saves.

Brent McGee was in goal for the second half. He also gave up one goal, but made three saves. Pettis led the Bisons in shorts with five, including two shots on goal.

“Pettis is getting more involved in the offense and that is good to see,” said Morrow. “I thought he looked like his old self. Miguel is also getting more involved.”

The Bisons outshot Campbell, the A-Sun defending regular season champion, 26-19 and held a 10-7 edge in shots on goal.

The Bisons are 3-5-2, 0-0-1 in the A-Sun. Campbell is 1-6-1, 0-0-1 in the conference.

Saturday night at 7 the Bisons are back in action at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex when Mercer visits. The Bears, 2-4-2, beat Belmont 5-1 Friday night.

“Mercer will be a very physical team,” said Morrow. “We beat them last year in the regular season and we beat them in the conference tournament in the first round. Mercer is a much-improved team. Saturday is going to be a battle too.”