Skip to main content

Men's Soccer > News

November 09, 20111st2ndFinal
LIP42:10PETTIS, Garret (LONGINOTTI, Drew )
MER75:11Richie Edmondson
MER81:31Ryan King (Josh Shutter )
LIPMCGEE, Brent90:0025
MERGreg Ranjitsingh90:0014
Stats at a GlanceLIPMER
Shots (on Goal)15 (5) 15 (7)
Corner Kicks511
Yellow Cards31
Bisons Fall to Mercer at A-Sun Tournament
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
By Colby Wilson
Bisons Fall to Mercer at A-Sun Tournament

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s soccer team got on the board early, but two second-half goals by Mercer knocked the Bisons out of the 2011 Atlantic Sun men’s soccer tournament in the quarterfinals by a 2-1 score.

The Bisons finish the season at 4-12-3, failing to reach the A-Sun semifinals for the first time since 2008. Mercer (9-7-3) moves on to the semifinals, where they will face top-seeded Florida Gulf Coast.

The scoring began as it so often has with senior Garret Pettis. The senior from Elizabethtown, Pa. netted his 10th of the season and 34th of his career late in the first half. It was Pettis’ second goal of the season against Mercer; he scored in the 21st minute of the Oct. 27 match-up.

He was assisted by senior Drew Longinotti, who picked up his second assist of the campaign with a pretty through ball that Pettis collected in space and rifled to the lower left past Mercer’s Greg Ranjitsingh.

Pettis’ goal was surrounded by cards at the end of the opening period. He and junior Jeremy Reid were both carded in the 41st minute, while sophomore Isaac Pile and Mercer’s Ryan King were dealt yellow cards two minutes later.

Mercer got good chances in the first half as well, the best of which came in the 40th minute. A foul Lipscomb foul just outside the box gave Mercer’s Joey Heavner a close free kick. He fired a shot to the top of the net that McGee deflected just over the bar.

Lipscomb would come under attack early in the second half, with Mercer’s Richie Edmondson putting a shot on net in the first minute of the half.  

The Bears primary form of attack came off of set pieces, specifically corner kicks. Mercer took 11 corners in the game, compared to just five for Lipscomb.

Mercer got the equalizer in the 75th minute, when Edmondson lined up a shot at the top of the box. The ball took a few hops and may have deflected off a player, but in the end it was past McGee and the game was tied at one.

With 8:40 left, Mercer’s Ryan King netted the game-winner, taking the pass from Josh Shutter and one-timing it by McGee for the goal.

Pettis lead the Bisons with four shots, three of which were on goal. McGee made five saves in the loss.

The game was the final one in a Lipscomb uniform for seniors Pettis, Longinotti, Brent McGee, Evan McGee and Andrew Chamberlain. Pettis would earn his first career Atlantic Sun All-Tournament selection for his performance.

Check for more information on the Bison soccer team, and be sure to follow us on Twitter (@LUMSoccer) and like us on Facebook (Lipscomb University Men’s Soccer Team).