Skip to main content

Men's Soccer > News

October 28, 20121st2nd1OT 2OT Final
North Florida02013
LIP2:29HOLCOMBE, Reece (REID, Jeremy )
UNF-M52:26BRUCE, Drew (DAMM, Josh )
UNF-M63:12GARCIA, Camilo (RIVAROLI, Jean )
LIP63:50HOLCOMBE, Reece (CEDANO, Anthony )
UNF-M107:30VALDERRUTEN, Maurici (GARCIA, Camilo )
LIPHOF, Miguel107:3033
Stats at a GlanceLIPUNF-M
Shots (on Goal)25 (14) 12 (7)
Corner Kicks65
Yellow Cards22
Red Cards10
Holcombe's two goals not enough for Bisons soccer
Sunday, October 28, 2012
By Ryan Hilgemann
Holcombe's two goals not enough for Bisons soccer

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Lipscomb men’s soccer team fell 3-2 in double overtime to North Florida in a physical Atlantic Sun Conference match on Sunday afternoon in Jacksonville, Fla.

Seeing a school record fourth-straight contest head to overtime, the Bisons record fell to 5-11-1 overall and 2-4-1 in A-Sun play while the Ospreys improved to 4-12-0 overall and 1-6-0 in the loop.

Just 2:29 into the game, Lipscomb freshman Reece Holcombe found the back of the net. Senior Jeremy Reid sent a bouncing pass into Holcombe, who volleyed the ball over top of UNF keeper Brad Sienkiewicz for the early 1-0 lead.

Early in the second stanza, North Florida struck with a 53rd minute goal from Drew Bruce. Bruce nudged a shot into the net from six yards out to knot the game at 1-1.

Ten minutes later, the Ospreys took a brief lead as Camillo Garcia hit a 23-yard shot into the left post of the goal.

Off the ensuing kickoff the Bisons garnered an attack to tie the game. Freshman Anthony Cedano fired a shot that was saved by Sienkiewicz and the rebound was picked up by Holcombe six yards out. Holcombe’s initial shot was saved by a second attempt but the rookie’s third attack blitzed into the net to tie the game at 2-2 with just over 25 minutes remaining.

The Bisons had an opportunity in the final minutes as Ryan Savitzky broke free on a breakaway attempt but his shot was saved by Sienkiewicz, who had an outstanding day with 14 saves.

In the extra periods, the Bisons attempted six shots, including three on goal, but were unable to breakthrough with the game-winner.

In the 108th minute, Maurici Valderruten knocked-in the game-ending goal for the Ospreys, to take the 3-2 victory.

The game was marred by 45 fouls, four yellow cards and one red card as each team fought for position.

Holcombe’s two goals give him a team-leading four for the season while Reid’s assist also gave him a team-leading four on the season.

The Bisons close out the regular season with a must-win situation at conference newcomer Northern Kentucky on Saturday, trying to clinch a spot in the A-Sun Championships.