Skip to main content

Men's Soccer > News

November 09, 20121st2nd1OT 2OT Final
Florida Gulf Coast10012
FGCU15:33CRESPO, Federico
LIP76:49DJABI, Omar
FGCU102:55DeSOUSA, Felipe (ECHEVERRI, Santiago )
FGCUINGHAM, Nathan102:5512
Stats at a GlanceLIPFGCU
Shots (on Goal)8 (3) 11 (5)
Corner Kicks73
Yellow Cards24
Red Cards10
Bisons soccer season ends in overtime loss
Friday, November 9, 2012
By Ryan Hilgemann
Bisons soccer season ends in overtime loss

FT. MYERS, Fla. – The Lipscomb men’s soccer team pushed Atlantic Sun Conference Champion Florida Gulf Coast to the brink of elimination but fell just short in a 2-1 double-overtime loss Saturday night in Ft. Myers Fla.

The A-Sun Tournament semifinals appearance, the third in the Bisons history, pitted a 19-game unbeaten streak at home for the Eagles while LU was the only A-Sun team to defeat FGCU this season.

Lipscomb ends its season 7-12-1 overall with a 3-4-1 record in A-Sun play. The Eagles move on to the championship round sporting a 10-5-2 record and 6-1-1 in league play.

The Eagles jumped into the lead on a free kick from 25 yards out. Fredrico Crespo sent a curving line drive around the Bisons wall and tucked the ball into the near post in the 16th minute.

Florida Gulf Coast held a decisive advantage with a first half of 10 fouls compared to four from the Bisons. The physicality of the Eagles slowed the Purple and Gold counter attack limiting them to just two shots.

With time waning in the 77th minute of play, an Eagles handball set up the Bisons for a set play from 20 yards out just left of the goal. Sophomore Omar Djabi placed a strike right into the upper-right corner of the goal, bouncing off the post and into the net.

The score was the first goal given up by the Eagles at home since Sept. 22 and ended a three-game shutout streak.

Pushing the game into overtime, the Bisons gave a valiant effort being a man down. LU controlled possession during the first overtime period but the Eagles saw a breakthrough in the second extra period.

An onslaught of shots starting in the 102nd minute saw FGCU score the game-winner. William Morse had his shot blocked as Crespo picked up the loose ball and fired a shot off the left post. A-Sun Freshman of the Year Felipe DeSousa had the ball appear at his feet and pushed it across the goal line.

With the exception of the three extra period shots, the Bisons and Eagles played even on total shots, as the Eagles held an 11-8 advantage. The final foul tally showed 21-10 as the Eagles accumulated four yellow cards.

The Bisons season ends along with the careers of Jeremy Reid, Deven Bahadoorsingh, Ethan Summers, Josh Robert and Matt Shanklin as they exhaust their eligibility.

Florida Gulf Coast moves on to face Mercer, the winner of the first semifinal match, on Sunday to earn the right to represent the A-Sun in the NCAA Tournament.