September 13, 20131st2ndFinal
UIC9:27ALVAREZ, Jorge (TORRES, Jesus )
UIC56:47LINDBERG, Kyle (ALVAREZ, Jorge , ALEKSOV, Slobodan)
UICPUTNA, Andrew90:0001
LIPBLEDSOE, Micah90:0023
Stats at a GlanceUICLIP
Shots (on Goal)10 (5) 4 (1)
Corner Kicks00
Yellow Cards30
Opportunities scarce in men's soccer defeat
Friday, September 13, 2013
Opportunities scarce in men's soccer defeat

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -The University of Illinois-Chicago controlled the matchup with Lipscomb (2-2-0) from kick-off as they defeated the Bisons 2-0 in the first game of the Mafiaoza Invitational at E.S. Rose Park on Friday afternoon.

“It was a disappointing performance today,” said coach Charles Morrow. “This is the first time all season where it is hard to pull something positive out of the game. We are just pretty disappointed at the way we played today.”

UIC (2-2-0) applied pressure to the Bisons from the moment the ball was kicked off. In the second minute of the match sophomore forward Jorge Alvarez found his way into the box and took a shot that just missed the post wide right.

Just past the four-minute mark, Australian native Luke Gearin had perhaps the Bisons best look of the day on a free kick. Gearin bended the ball around the wall and hit high on the right post, just missing the net.

On the next Flames possession, Slobodan Aleksov found the right side of the box as he tried to punch the ball across his body for a goal, but freshman goal keeper Micah Bledsoe made a wonderful diving stop to his right for his first save of the match.

One minute later Aleksov had another good look at the goal, but missed wide left. At the 9:27 mark Alvarez finally found the net for the Flames on an assist from Jesus Torres. Torres found Alvarez in the box, who then placed the ball top right net for a 1-0 lead.

Reece Holcombe put a shot on goal in the 12th minute only to be saved by Andrew Putna of UIC.

The Bisons third and final shot of the first half came on a run when Josue Chavez made a crossover move and cleverly found freshman Kevin McMahon in the box who just missed wide left. It was that kind of night for the Bisons.

Lipscomb was outshot 10-4 for the game, making it the first all season where Lipscomb failed to out shoot their opponent. The Bisons only had one shot attempt in a second half that was dominated by UIC.

“We had trouble stringing passes together,” said Morrow. “Possessing the ball, we had a lot of difficulty doing that today. It all starts with individual awareness.”

In the second half, every time the Bisons had the ball they would either slip or lose the ball to the defender. It did not look like the same Purple and Gold squad that has been on the field thus far this season.

For the second consecutive game the Bisons were shut out, the first time that has happened since the game to end the 2010 season and the first game of 2011.

It was also the first time the Bisons lost back-to-back games since September of last season.
Lipscomb returns to the field on Sunday to face Cleveland State in a noon kick-off. The Bisons will look to get back to their winning ways.

“Possession and off-the-ball awareness are two areas we need to address quickly before Sunday,” Morrow said. “We can do better. We need to start back at square one and get some things right.”