September 20, 20131st2nd1OT 2OT Final
Appalachian St.20002
APP7:30Trey Hemphill (Matthew Melton )
LIP16:28GEARIN, Luke
APP19:05Trey Hemphill (Matthew Melton )
APPDanny Free110:0025
LIPBLEDSOE, Micah110:0025
Stats at a GlanceAPPLIP
Shots (on Goal)14 (7) 17 (7)
Corner Kicks612
Yellow Cards24
Red Cards01
Men's soccer fights to a 2-2 draw against Appalachian State
Saturday, September 21, 2013
Men's soccer fights to a 2-2 draw against Appalachian State

NASHVILLE, TENN.- The Lipscomb men’s soccer team fought to a 2-2 draw in double overtime in a rain soaked game against Appalachian State on Friday night in the Hyatt Place Select Lipscomb Invitational.

Playing in their first home game since a season opening win over Belmont on Aug. 30, the Bisons found themselves in a hole early when the Mountaineers scored just 7:30 into the match.

Sophomore midfielder Matthew Melton put a cross just in front of the net and Trey Hemphill found it with a header to take the lead 1-0. The goal was Hemphill’s second of the season.

After missing on three shot attempts, Lipscomb finally found an equalizer on a Luke Gearin penalty kick.

While Bison midfielder Matt Kerridge was making a run in the box, he was tripped up for a foul thus giving his team a perfect scoring opportunity.

Gearin stepped up and after a pause to stare down the Mountaineer goalkeeper; he put it in right net as the goalie dove to the opposite direction to make it a 1-1 game just 16:28 in.

“The guys did a great job of making something happen,” said Morrow.

It did not take long for Appalachian State to return the favor as Melton once again found Hemphill for the second time for a goal.

With almost an identical goal as the first, Melton crossed the ball from the far left sideline in to the box where Hemphill found the net with yet another header giving him three goals on the season.

Melton’s two assists were his first of the year.

On a defensive miscue by the Mountaineers in the 40th minute, the Bisons tied the game at 2 after an own goal. The first half would end 2-2.

“The first half we was a little chaotic,” said head coach Charles Morrow. “In the second half, we did a better job of coming out and establishing a rhythm and controlling the passes.”

Both teams played aggressively in the first half and each received two yellow cards. At 63:24 of the second period, Kerridge was handed a red card and left his team a man down the rest of the match.

Realizing what Kerridge’s ejection meant for their team, the Bison players increased their level of play and fought much harder the rest of the match.

Lipscomb would outshoot the Mountaineers 8-5 in the second half, while also attempting nine corner kicks to Appalachian State’s one. All attempts came up short for the Bisons.

 “The guys showed great resolve of sticking to and executing the game plan,” said Morrow.

“The defense was solid and we created opportunities with a man down.”  “It was just unfortunate we didn’t capitalize on those.”

After ending regulation at 2-2, the game entered sudden death overtime.

On a field that was soaked from the down pour, neither team seemed to get much going in the ten minutes of overtime, so the match entered a second overtime. The Bisons found gaps but could not create a goal to end the game in their first tie of the season at 2-2.

The Purple and Gold had a season high 16 shot attempts and 11 corner kicks.

Goalkeeper Micah Bledsoe was credited with five stops in 110 minutes of play. 

“The team takes pride in playing at home. The fan support was great staying here though out the rain,” Morrow said.

“We have to get treatment and get rested to get ready to play on Sunday.”

Lipscomb will return to the field on Sunday when they will matchup with the Central Arkansas Bears in a 2:30 scheduled kickoff. The Bears lost 4-0 to Belmont in the first game of the invitational on Friday.