September 29, 20131st2ndFinal
Missouri State000
LIP78:19HOLCOMBE, Reece (DJABI, Omar )
LIPBLEDSOE, Micah88:5202
LIPHOF, Miguel1:0800
Stats at a GlanceLIPMSU
Shots (on Goal)4 (4) 9 (2)
Corner Kicks10
Yellow Cards01
Red Cards01
Holcombe's late goal lifts men's soccer to 1-0 victory
Sunday, September 29, 2013
Holcombe's late goal lifts men's soccer to 1-0 victory

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -Reece Holcombe’s goal in the 79th minute lifted the Bisons to a 1-0 victory over Missouri State on Sunday afternoon.

Coming off two disappointing losses, the Bisons got a much needed win.

“I am definitely proud of the way the guys responded today,” said head coach Charles Morrow. “The energy they brought to the game to find a way to win was great.”

With the win, the Bisons improve to 4-4-1 on the season.

Missouri State falls to 4-3-1.

Sunday’s game was the second of a four-game road stretch that covers 3,600 miles.

“This was a tough week of travel,” Morrow said. ”First going to Georgia State on Thursday and then traveling to Missouri State has been a long trip.

“On top of that, Missouri State is a tough place to play. It is probably one of the tougher places to play in the country.”

The Bisons fought through the adversity and came away with their second shutout of the season.

“I am really happy with the guy’s energy and commitment to defending,” Morrow said. “We came ready to play today.”

With the score tied 0-0 late in the second period, Morrow was looking for someone to make a play.

Holcombe, sophomore forward, was just the man for the job.

With just over 10 minutes left to play, Holcombe scored his first goal of the season on an assist from Omar Djabi. It was Djabi’s team-leading second assist.

Holcombe received a pass from Omar Djabi at the top right of the box and struck it to the opposite side of the net for a goal to put his team up 1-0.

“Reece did a great job of running through the defense,” Morrow said. “It was a great team combination of passing and awareness to get that goal.”

Freshman goalkeeper Micah Bledsoe was credited with two saves after briefly leaving the game with a bloody nose after a kick to the face in the 23rd minute.

 A ball was played across the middle of the box on the ground, intended for the attacking Emmerich Hoegg of Missouri St. Both Hoegg and Bledsoe came together to meet the ball and Hoegg’s foot collided with Bledsoe’s face.

The referees issued a red card to Hoegg on the collision resulting in the Bears playing with a man down the rest of the match.

Lipscomb will enter Atlantic Sun conference play next week with momentum.

“It is definitely good to get a win and head into conference play with confidence,” said Morrow.

The Bisons will finish their road trip with two games in the state of Florida.

On Friday, they will face Florida Gulf Coast in Fort Myers with a 6 p.m. kickoff before making their way north to Stetson on Sunday.