|August 23, 2014||1st||2nd||Final|
|UAB||1:53||DAJANI, Rami (GETMAN-PICKERING, A. )|
|UAB||12:12||WILLEMSE, Lars (COPELAND, Darion )|
|UAB||21:14||COPELAND, Darion (CLAY, Alex )|
|LIP||28:53||Kerridge, Joe (Holcombe, Reece )|
|UAB||48:25||DAJANI, Rami (ABRAHART, Stewart )|
|UAB||70:05||ROBINSON, DeAndre (ABRAHART, Stewart , RUIZ, Freddy)|
|LIP||79:03||Cedano, Anthony (Djabi, Omar )|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||UAB|
|Shots (on Goal)||9 (5)||16 (9)|
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Early goals from UAB proved too much to overcome Saturday night as the Lipscomb men’s soccer team dropped a 5-3 decision to the Blazers in its final 2014 exhibition match at West Campus Field.
UAB jumped on the scoreboard in the second minute of the game when Aaron Getman-Pickering struck a through ball to the far post for Rami Dajani who put it in net.
The Blazers got their second tally of the night in the 13th minute from Lars Willemse.
Lipscomb responded in the 19th minute when junior Josue Chavez intercepted the ball in the attacking third and found himself in a one-on-one situation. He beat the UAB goalie with a kick to the bottom right corner to cut the Blazers’ lead in half, 2-1.
UAB added another goal at 21:14 on a Darion Copeland header.
In the 29th minute freshman Joe Kerridge struck a ball past the defender into the upper right corner of the net for his first collegiate goal to cut UAB’s lead to 3-2. Birmingham native Reece Holcombe assisted on the play.
UAB tacked on two more in the second period to push its lead to 5-2.
Junior midfielder Anthony Cedano found his first goal of the preseason with a header off a Bison corner kick in the 80th minute to round out the scoring.
- Lipscomb held a 3-2 advantage in corner kicks.
- Although the Bisons put five shots on goal, UAB did manage to outshoot Lipscomb 16-9.
- Freshman goalie Nate Davis played the full 90 minutes getting his first start in net for Lipscomb. He tallied four saves.
- Holcombe and Omar Djabi recorded their first points of the preseason after they each assisted on goals.
- Chavez’s goal was his second in as many games during exhibition play.
- Three freshmen saw their names in the starting lineup for Lipscomb, while six recorded minutes.
- Lipscomb and UAB last met in April at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex as part of Lipscomb’s Spring Collegiate Soccer Showcase where the Bisons took the result 4-2.
UP NEXT: Lipscomb must now turn its attention to Xavier. The Bisons will travel to Cincinnati, Ohio on Friday Aug. 29 to open regular season play. Kickoff is slated for 6 p.m.