|September 01, 2014||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||13:20||Kerridge, Matt (Holcombe, Reece )|
|LIP||19:27||Djabi, Omar (Kerridge, Matt )|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||EIU|
|Shots (on Goal)||9 (4)||11 (3)|
CHARLESTON, Ill.. – The Lipscomb men’s soccer team returns to the pitch Monday for a 2 p.m. Labor Day matchup with Eastern Illinois at Lakeside Field.
On Friday the Bisons (1-0) opened their 2014 campaign with a 3-2 win over Xavier in Cincinnati, Ohio. The match featured a pair of first-career goals from juniors Anthony Cedano and Matt Kerridge.
Junior forward Reece Holcombe added the game-winning goal in the 81st minute. Holcombe also tallied an assist in the victory.
Freshman Nate Davis recorded his first collegiate start in goal against the Musketeers, making five saves.
Scouting the Opponent:
The Bisons will meet an Eastern Illinois (1-0) side that picked up a 2-0 win over St. Francis (Ill.) on Saturday. The Panthers tallied both scores in the first half.
EIU finished the game with a decisive 20-6 shots advantage including, putting five on goal.
Senior Will Butler put the Panthers on the board in the 8th minute after an assist from freshman Dominic Recca.
Recca would go on to score his first collegiate goal in the 35th minute.
Goalkeepers Ben Feltes and Mike Novotny split time in goal for EIU, with each playing a half. Novotny was credited with two saves.
Following Monday’s match Lipscomb will get a few days rest before making its third road trip in as many games to Evansville, Indiana. The Bisons and Purple Aces are slated to kick things off at 4 p.m. on Sunday Sept. 7.
- Monday’s game will be the fifth meeting in the all-time series between the two schools. Although Lipscomb trails in the series 1-3, the Bisons bested the Panthers, 3-1, last season in the Dayton Flyer Classic in Dayton, Ohio.
- Reece Holcombe is tied for third in the A-Sun with three points.
- Making his collegiate debut, freshman Ivan Alvarado recorded his first-career assist in the win at Xavier.
- Nate Davis’ .714 save percentage ranks fourth in the league.
- Omar Djabi scored his first point of the year, assisting on Anthony Cedano’s first half goal Friday.