|September 07, 2014||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||44:29||Gearin, Luke (Djabi, Omar )|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||UE|
|Shots (on Goal)||11 (6)||12 (7)|
EVANSVILLE, Ind. – The Lipscomb men's soccer team will be making its third straight road match to open the season Sunday afternoon when the Bisons and the Purple Aces of Evansville square off at 4 p.m. inside Arad McCutchan Stadium.
Lipscomb (2-0) opened its 2014 campaign with a 3-2 win over Xavier last Friday before earning a 2-1 decision at Eastern Illinois on Labor Day.
Redshirt junior Matt Kerridge earned the Atlantic Sun Conference Player of the Week on Tuesday after leading the Bisons with two goals and an assist in the two victories.
He is tied for second in the league in goals and points (5).
In the win over EIU on Monday, the Golden, Colorado native had a foot in both Lipscomb scores. He took a reflection off the Panther goalie in the 14th minute and put it in the net for the second consecutive game. Just six minutes later he assisted on Omar Djabi’s game-winner.
After a terrific start on the pitch, the Bisons were rated the No. 9 best team in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America/Continental Tire Southeast Region poll released on Monday.
Lipscomb is one of three A-Sun teams, FGCU (No. 3) and UNF (No. 5), to be ranked in the top 10.
Evansville will bring a 1-1-1 record into the Sunday match. The Purple Aces opened the season at the Nike Portland Invitational in Corvallis, Oregon last weekend, dropping a 3-1 decision to host Oregon State, before earning a 1-1 draw with Portland.
On Friday, EU entertained Belmont to a 5-0 defeat and its first win of the season.
Two Purple Aces’ have scored multiple goals, led by Charlie Macias’ three. He scored the first two in Evansville’s win over the Bruins.
Mark Gonzalez is second on the squad with two.
Goalkeeper Eric Teppen has allowed four goals this season and collected 11 saves in three games.
Although the Bisons stay on the road, they do return to the Nashville area on Friday Sept. 12 to take part in the Belmont Invitational at E.S. Rose Park.
Lipscomb face Gardner-Webb at 3:30 p.m. Friday to open play. On Sunday Sept. 14, the Bisons will match up with James Madison for the first time in the series history at 12:05 p.m.
- Lipscomb was outshot 24-19 last weekend, but hold a 12-10 shot advantage in the first half.
- The Bisons tied their opponents in corner kicks with eight apiece.
- Kerridge has been efficient with the ball, putting three of his four shots on goal, including his two scores.
- Reece Holcombe is second on the team with four points. He has one goal and two assists on his junior campaign.
- Freshman Nate Davis has earned the victory in each win. He has seven saves.
- His 1.50 goals against average ranks third in the league
- Omar Djabi, preseason A-Sun co-player of the year, has tallied one goal and one assist through two games
- Lipscomb is still searching for its first win over Evansville and trails 3-0-2 in the series. The Purple Aces narrowly escaped Nashville with a 1-0 decision in 2013.