|September 26, 2014||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||72:53||Gearin, Luke (Alvarado, Ivan )|
|Stats at a Glance||GSU||LIP|
|Shots (on Goal)||12 (8)||14 (4)|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men's soccer team turns its attention this week to Georgia State. On Friday the Panthers make the trek to Music City for a 7 p.m. matchup at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.
Lipscomb (6-1) is fresh off wins over Houston Baptist and Memphis last week on its way to winning the Hyatt Place Select Lipscomb Invitational.
Junior midfielder Josue Chavez earned the Atlantic Sun Conference Player of the Week Monday after leading the Bisons with two goals and an assist in the two victories.
Chavez was not the only Bison to have a stellar performance on the pitch, as seven players scored a goal and five recorded an assist last week.
The Bisons knocked off HBU 4-1 and came from behind to win 4-3 over Memphis after trailing by two scores in the first half.
Earlier in the week Lipscomb was ranked fifth in the most recent edition of the NSCAA/Continental Tire Southeast Region poll.
Lipscomb is off to its best start in school history and have already recorded a school record six nonconference victories, with still three to play.
SCOUTING GEORGIA STATE:
Georgia State enters the contest at 3-3-0 overall. The Panthers have won three consecutive matches, including wins over Presbyterian and North Carolina at Greensboro. GSU’s first win of the season came in a 4-1 decision over A-Sun foe, North Florida.
The Panthers have been outscored 11-7 through six games, but have outshot their opponents 78-76.
Georgia State shows balance across the board with six players each recording a goal. Amiri Abraham leads the team with two assists.
Goalkeeper CJ Cochran has received the nod in all six matches and has come up with 24 saves. He has one shutout to this credit and allows 1.83 goals per game.
- Lipscomb is third in the A-Sun with 92 shot attempts and have outshot its opponents 92-76.
- The Bisons rank sixth in the nation with 18 goals this season. Their 16 assists are 15th-best nationally.
- Matt Kerridge and Luke Gearin are tied for the league lead in goals scored with four each.
- Freshman Ivan Alvarado is tied for the A-Sun lead and ranks 13th in the nation with four assists.
- Jonathan Ramirez recorded his first collegiate points in the win over Memphis with a goal and an assist.
- Kerridge it tied atop the A-Sun with nine points. Gearin is just behind with eight.
- Lipscomb is still searching for its first win over Georgia State and trails 7-0 in the series. The Bisons got a late goal from Omar Djabi in last year’s meeting, but GSU got the victory 2-1 in Atlanta.
The Bisons open A-Sun play next Wednesday Oct. 1, hosting USC Upstate at 7 p.m. at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.