HIGHLAND HEIGHTS, Ky. – The Lipscomb men’s soccer team heads north for its first Atlantic Sun road match of the season to battle Northern Kentucky Saturday night at 6 p.m.
The Bisons are coming off a conference-opening 2-1 win over USC Upstate Wednesday night at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.
Although Lipscomb (7-2, 1-0 A-Sun) took the decision it didn’t come without suspense.
The Spartans jumped out to an early 1-0 lead on a penalty kick, but the Bisons fought back and scored twice in the last 25 minutes to record their third come-from-behind victory of the season.
Wednesday’s victory marked the first time since 2006 and just the second time in head coach Charles Morrow’s tenure the Bisons won their conference opener.
Lipscomb is off to its best start in program history.
The Norse (2-4-3) enter the contest looking to end a two-game skid after dropping matches to Western Michigan (4-0) and Western Illinois (2-0).
The loss to Western Illinois was the first home loss for NKU.
Saturday’s meeting will be the conference opener for the Norse, who has scored just nine goals this season. Northern Kentucky toppled the Bisons in Music City last season after scoring two goals in the first 13 minutes of action before holding on for a 2-1 win.
The Norse have been outshot 133-103, including 55-38 in shots on goal. NKU’s opponents also hold a 44-36 advantage in corner kicks.
Cian McDonald and Caleb Eastham lead the Norse offensively with each tallying three scores. McDonald leads the team with two assists.
A-Sun Preseason Goalkeeper of the Year, A.J. Fleak has played every minute in net for the Norse. He has allowed 16 goals in 129 shots faced.
He sits second in the conference with 39 saves, while his .709 save percentage is third in the league.
- Lipscomb and NKU are tied 1-1 in the series history. The Bisons won their only meeting in Highland Heights in 2012 when Tyler Burkhardt scored the game-winner three minutes into overtimes.
- The Bisons look to remain unbeaten in road matches this season, sporting a 3-0-0 record.
- Lipscomb has outshot its opponents 130-95, including a 64-45 margin in shots on goal.
- It also holds a slight 40-34 advantage in corners.
- Lipscomb’s 6.78 points per game ranks ninth nationally and its 21 total goals is 10th, just three behind the national leaders. Both totals lead the A-Sun.
- Luke Gearin leads the A-Sun and ranks 16th in the country with six goals. He scored five in 2013.
- Matt Kerridge is tied for second in the league with five scores. He netted his first career game-winner in the win over Upstate Wednesday. The junior had no career goals coming into the season.
- Kerridge has equaled his shot total from a year ago with 23.
- Omar Djabi and Ivan Alvarado sit atop the A-Sun and 10th nationally with five assists this season.
After Saturday’s matchup Lipscomb gets a break before returning to the pitch. The Bisons welcome Stetson to Nashville Saturday Oct. 11 for a 7 p.m. kickoff.