|October 11, 2014||1st||2nd||Final|
|STET||76:56||Huber, Jared (Diniz, Lucas )|
|LIP||86:04||Gearin, Luke (Johnson, Robbie )|
|Stats at a Glance||STET||LIP|
|Shots (on Goal)||11 (5)||8 (3)|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – With a contest featuring the top two scoring offenses in the Atlantic Sun, a defensive battle took mid-stage for the first 77 minutes until Stetson struck three times to down the Lipscomb men’s soccer team 3-1 on a rain soaked turf at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.
“We did some good things at times, but we also did some bad things,” Lipscomb coach Charles Morrow said. “I am disappointed with the decision but we have to bounce back next week.”
The Bisons and Hatters played to nil in the first half Saturday night. Each team fired off four shots in the half.
It was Jared Huber who broke the game open for Stetson late in the match.
Huber took a pass inside the box off the foot of Lucas Diniz and he placed it the right side of the net at the 76:56 mark to open the scoring.
The assist from Diniz was his A-Sun leading seventh of the year.
Huber used his speed to beat Lipscomb’s back line in the 86th minute to widen the Bisons deficit.
Lipscomb senior defender Luke Gearin answered one minute later when he put a header just inside the right post off a feed from senior Robbie Johnson and make it a 2-1 game.
Stetson sealed the game with another score in the 89th minute.
The loss drops Lipscomb to 7-3-1 overall and 1-1-1 in league play. Stetson improves to 5-5-2, 2-1-0.
- It was Gearin’s seventh goal of the year. That places him in the A-Sun lead with Stetson’s JJ Bostic.
- Gearin moves into a tie for third place in goals scored on Lipscomb’s individual career rankings. He is tied with Omar Djabi, each with 14 career scores.
- Lipscomb had gone over 199 minutes without a goal before Gearin’s strike at 86:04 Saturday night. The team’s last score came at the 87-minute mark of the USC Upstate game when Matt Kerridge scored the game-winner.
- Stetson outshot Lipscomb 11-8 in the match and 5-3 in shots on goal.
- The Bisons did hold the advantage in corner kicks, 7-4.
- Nate Davis took his first collegiate loss in the net for Lipscomb. He is now 5-1-1 for his freshman campaign.
- Freshman Jonathan “Buddy” Ramirez led Lipscomb in shots with three. No other Bison took more than one.
The Bisons must travel to Jacksonville next weekend for a conference match with North Florida. Game time is set for 6 p.m. CT.