JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The Lipscomb men’s soccer team will look to get back on track Saturday night when the Bisons square off with North Florida in Atlantic Sun Conference action at 6 p.m. CT at Hodges Stadium in Jacksonville.
Lipscomb, preseason favorites in the A-Sun, had a disappointing performance the last time out in a 3-1 loss to Stetson at home last weekend.
The Bisons carry a 7-3-1 overall record into the contest and try to improve on their 1-1-1 mark against A-Sun opponents.
Saturday’s match will boast three of the A-Sun’s top five scorers this season. Lipscomb senior defender Luke Gearin enters the contest tied for the league lead with seven scores. He has found the net in three of the last four matches.
Redshirt junior midfielder Matt Kerridge stands third with five and UNF’s Simen Solstad is fifth with four goals.
UNF currently sits second in the A-Sun standings at 5-4-0 overall and 2-1 in league play.
The Ospreys have locked down defensively in their last two matches, notching back-to-back shutouts against Jacksonville (2-0) and USC Upstate (3-0). In those two matchups UNF allowed just one shot on goal and the backline has not surrendered a goal in 187 minutes of action.
Although Solstad leads UNF offensively, there have been six other Ospreys to notch a goal in 2014. Solstad also lead the team with four assists.
Kyle Nasta has been to go-to goalie for Derek Marinatos’ squad. Nasta has recorded three shutouts in just four games played. In 360 minutes of action, he allowed six goals to nine saves and sports a 3-1 record.
UNF has outshot its opponents 101-86 this season and holds a 50-39 advantage in corner kicks.
The Ospreys seem to pick things up in the second half, scoring 11 of their 16 goals after the half.
- LU and UNF are tied 4-4-1 in the all-time series after Lipscomb claimed a 1-0 decision in Nashville last season on Omar Djabi’s game-winner in the 67th minute on a free kick.
- Luke Gearin’s goal in the 87th minute against Stetson halted a 200-minute scoring drought for the Bisons, dating back to the 87-minute mark against USC Upstate Oct. 1.
- Djabi is the A-Sun’s active career leader in points with 39. Gearin is third with 28.
- Djabi is also the league’s active career leader in assists with 11.
- Lipscomb is second in the league with 22 goals. UNF is third with 16.
- The Bisons possess the second lowest goals against average (GAA) in the A-Sun, allowing just 1.51 per contest.
- Freshman goalie Nate Davis is second among the league’s individuals with a 1.45 GAA.
Lipscomb will step out of conference play next week when it travels to Conway, Arkansas to face Central Arkansas at 5 p.m. on Tuesday Oct. 21.