NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Coming off its best season in program history, the Lipscomb soccer team has continued the momentum by head coach Charles Morrow announcing the signing of nine newcomers for the Bisons’ 2015 recruiting class.
The Purple and Gold finished the 2014 season with the most wins in school history at 12-4-1. The spectacular campaign saw further history made when the Bisons captured their first-ever Atlantic Sun Conference regular season championship and the No. 1 seed in the A-Sun Tournament.
After garnering the highest seed in program history, Morrow guided his team to the semi-finals for the fifth time in the last six years. Senior defender Luke Gearin scored a career-high seven goals and earned the A-Sun’s Defensive Player of the Year honor. Freshman Ivan Alvarado had a breakout season with four goals and eight assists on his way to being named the league’s Freshman of the Year. Both awards were a first for the program.
Gearin and rising senior Matt Kerridge were named to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Division I All-Southeast Region team. Gearin is the first player in Lipscomb history to earn a spot on the first team. The duo now makes four players in program history to be named All-Region.
The Bisons look to further their recent success by signing a group that Morrow believes will continue Lipscomb’s trajectory upward.
Brandon Braumuller | 6-1 | 163 | Forward | Kissimmee, Florida | Poinciana HS | University of Central Florida
- Transfer from the University of Central Florida
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy in 2012-13
- Florida ODP Player in 2007
- Scored 44 career goals at PHS, leading the team each of his four seasons in scoring.
- Orange Belt First Team All-Conference
- All-District selection
- Salutatorian of his graduating class
- Won Disney International Cup with the Florida Rush
Cole Brown | 5-11 | 173 | Defender | Lilburn, Georgia | Parkview HS | UFA-Norcross
- Region 8 Defender
- Two-time All-Region selection, two-time voted team captain, all-district and team MVP at PHS
- Chose Lipscomb over Louisville, Marshall, Georgia Southern, Barton among others
Mathias Gmeiner | 5-9 | 162 | Defender | Gratwein, Austria | BG Oeversee HS | SK Sturm Graz
- Member of the Austria U16 National Team
- Captain of Sturm Graz Academy U15/U16
Joseph High | 5-8 | 140 | Midfielder | Lenexa, Kansas. | Kansas City Christian School | Toca FC
- 2011 NCHSC Champions
- Finished high school career with 32 goals and 20 assists
- Led team to first-ever Crossroads Conference title
Trystan Innes | 5-10 | 145 | Midfielder | Cornelius, North Carolina | Lake Norman Charter HS| Carolina Rapids
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy 2012-15
- U.S. Soccer Training Center participant in 2011
- ODP 97 participant at Regional Camp for NC West
- Named team Captain of U-14 North Meck Academy
- Chose Lipscomb over UNC Pembroke
Lorenzo Janeka | 5-10 | 150 | Midfielder | Newark, Delaware | Appoquinimink HS | 10-13 Philadelphia Union Juniors
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy 2013-14
- Selected for the ’97 Region I Pool twice
- Father played soccer at Maryville College
- Chose Lipscomb over Belmont, Coastal Carolina, York College, Southern Florida among others
Bryce Montes | 5-8 | 165 | Defender | Highland Ranch, Colorado | Thunderridge HS | Colorado Rapids
- TopDrawerSoccer 4-Star recruit
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy 2010-15
- U16 Development Academy Top Ten Defense with the Rapids allowing only 10 goals in 13 matches in 2012
- 2009-10 Denver training center participant for the U.S. National Team
- State Cup MVP
- National Honor Society
- Chose Lipscomb over Wisconsin, Gonzaga, Coastal Carolina and Loyola Chicago
Eduardo Reza | 5-9 | 165 | Midfielder | Denver, Colorado | John F. Kennedy HS | Mississippi College
- 2014 Developmental Academy Starting XI for Central Conference
- 2014 IMG Academy Top 150 Player Pool
- Played club with current Bison Joe Kerridge at Colorado Rush
- Transfer from Mississippi College
- U.S. Developmental Academy Elite 8 Captain
- U.S. Developmental Academy Central Conference Best 11
Austin Strout | 5-9 | 155 | Midfielder | Grand Prairie, Texas | Mansfield Lake Ridge | Solar Chelsea SC
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy 2014-15
- 2013-14 District 14-4A Offensive Player of the Year
- Two-time All-District selection
- Led MLR in assists as a sophomore before leading the team in assists and goals as a junior.
- National Honor Society
- Chose Lipscomb over Bradley, UMASS, UCA, DBU and UCCS
"I am very excited to announce this group of 2015 commitments to our program," Morrow said. "This class continues to raise the profile of our program within the state of Tennessee and nationally. We have compiled a high-quality and high-character group of young men for this recruiting class.
"Combined with what is already a very competitive group on campus, we should have an exciting fall camp and a lot to look forward to in 2015."