NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Alex Herbst scored the game-winning goal on a penalty kick in the 108th minute of action as Appalachian State defeated the Lipscomb men’s soccer team in double overtime Sunday afternoon in the Belmont Invitational at E.S. Rose Park.
Lipscomb falls to 1-4 on the year, while the Mountaineers improve to 3-1.
The Bisons took on a tough test in the match and their defense stood tall for most of the day as the back unit was under pressure throughout the game with App State outshooting LU, 20-14, and holding a slight edge in corner kicks, 4-3.
In the first half Lipscomb had a couple of great looks. The first coming in the 24th minute junior Kevin McMahon beat the defense and with a tight angle shooting back to his left, he put the ball off the right post.
At the 41:53 mark Ivan Alvarado drilled a shot off the crossbar from the left side of the box.
Junior goalkeeper Micah Bledsoe was ready every time he was called upon, making six saves and nearly coming up with his first clean sheet of the season.
- The Apps now lead the all-time series 2-0-1.
- Lipscomb is now 3-7 in its last 10 appearances in the Belmont Invite.
- The Bisons put just three of its shots on frame compared to seven from Appalachian State.
- Alvarado and McMahon each attempted a team-high three shots on the day.
- McMahon made his second straight start – the ninth of his career.
- The 1-4 start for the Bisons is the worst since 2012.
- Eight players for the Bisons played full minutes.
Lipscomb will take the pitch next weekend when it hosts the 8th Annual Hyatt Place Select/ Lipscomb Invitational. The four-team tournament will feature Belmont, Georgia Southern and IUPUI alongside the Bisons.
Lipscomb will face GSU in a 7 p.m. kickoff on Friday before dueling IUPUI at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday.
Check back later for a full recap.