|September 18, 2015||1st||2nd||1OT||2OT||Final|
|LIP||0:24||Paynter, Logan (McMahon, Kevin )|
|LIP||59:40||Paynter, Logan (Alvarado, Ivan )|
|GS||74:04||Jeremy Rector (Matt Melton )|
|Stats at a Glance||GS||LIP|
|Shots (on Goal)||14 (7)||15 (9)|
NASHVILLE – Redshirt freshman Logan Paynter scored two goals to help the Lipscomb men’s soccer team draw with Georgia Southern, 2-2, in the 8th Annual Hyatt Place Select Lipscomb Invitational at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.
“It was good to see Logan with some production,” Lipscomb head coach Morrow said. “He has been playing really well and finding some danger spots, but at times struggling to put balls away.”
The Bisons move to 1-4-1 on the year while the Eagles are now 1-3-1.
It didn’t take long for Lipscomb to open the scoring Friday night as just 24 seconds into the action, Paynter received a pass from redshirt junior Kevin McMahon eight yards out and fired a ball that settled into the left side of the net for a 1-0 Lipscomb lead.
Late in the first period Eagles' senior forward Emmanuel Raji beat a Lipscomb defender in the box and worked a ball past the diving keeper to make it a 1-1 game at the half.
The Bisons continued their offensive attack, keeping pressure on the Eagles backline for much of the second period.
After a Lipscomb shot on goal and two corner kicks put Georgia Southern on its heels, Paynter broke through for his second goal of the match in the 60th minute. Sophomore Ivan Alvarado lofted a cross to the far post for and Paynter, who then headed a ball home into the left net to give the Bisons another lead at 2-1 lead.
With the game seemingly in hand for Lipscomb, the defense surrendered an equalizer on a counter attack in the 75th minute off the foot of Jeremy Rector.
Both teams had a couple good looks in each overtime period, but were unable to connect.
- Just :24 seconds into the match, Paynter's first score is the fastest goal in the Atlantic Sun Conference this season.
- The scores were the second and third of the season for Paynter.
- After leading the team with eight assists a year ago, Alvarado recorded his first of 2015.
- Lipscomb outshot GSU 15-14, including a 9-7 advantage in shots on frame.
- The Bisons attempted seven corner kicks compared to five from the Eagles.
- Keeper Micah Bledsoe finished the contest with five saves.
- Senior Matt Kerridge led the team with four shot attempts, followed by three from Paynter and Alvarado.
- McMahon recorded his second career assist in the draw.
- The Bisons have now gone into double overtime in two straight matches.
Lipscomb returns to the pitch on Sunday when it takes on IUPUI in the closing match of the Lipscomb Invite. The game time is slated for a 2:30 start time.