|October 17, 2015||1st||2nd||Final|
|FGCU||57:21||WILKS, Skylar (ZAPATA, Dennis )|
|FGCU||89:55||THOMAS, Cameron (GAVIN, Justin )|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||FGCU|
|Shots (on Goal)||12 (2)||20 (8)|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb Men’s Soccer team went on the road Saturday night and dropped a 4-0 decision to No. 22 Florida Gulf Coast in Atlantic Sun Conference action on senior night at the FGCU Soccer Complex.
Lipscomb (4-8-1, 2-2) was bidding to end the Eagles’ five-game unbeaten streak and 27-game regular season unbeaten streak at home in A-Sun play, dating back to 2008.
It looked like the Bisons might be able to pull it off as they entered halftime all nil, but FGCU (5-2-3, 3-0-1) scored four times in the second half to clinch a spot in the A-Sun Championship and extend its conference lead to three points over North Florida, who also won Saturday night.
46' – FGCU – After Lipscomb was whistled for a foul in the box, FGCU’s Albert Ruiz stepped up and netted a penalty kick to give the Eagles a 1-0 lead just 53 seconds into the second period.
58' – FGCU – Skylar Wilks received a pass from Dennis Zapata at the top of the box, spun to his right and slotted a left-footer past the diving keeper to double FGCU’s advantage, 2-0. It was Wilks’ second goal of the year.
78' – FGCU – Lipscomb keeper Micah Bledsoe came out of the net to cut off an Eagle cross, but after losing the handle on the ball, FGCU’s Dylan Sacramento settled it and somehow got a backwards lob over his head and into the net.
90' – FGCU – As time the expired FGCU’s Cameron Thomas placed a shot from the right wing under Bledsoe’s diving effort and into the back of the net. Justin Gavin assisted on the goal.
- The Bisons drop to 1-5 all-time in Fort Myers, while FGCU extends its series lead to 7-3.
- Lipscomb has now been shutout six times this season, including three of the last four matches.
- FGCU outshot Lipscomb 20-12 overall and 8-2 in shots on frame.
- 15 of the 23 goals allowed by Lipscomb this season have come in the second half or later.
- The loss drops Lipscomb to 1-4 on the road.
- With four corners in the second half, the Bisons grabbed a 6-4 advantage in the loss and added to its conference-leading 69 corners this season.
- Sophomore Ivan Alvarado returned to the lineup in the first half Saturday. It was his first action since the Sept. 29th conference opener at Upstate.
- Logan Paynter and Alvarado each finished with a team-high three shot attempts.
- The four goals allowed by Bledsoe were a career high. He came away with four saves in the defeat.
- FGCU has outscored A-Sun foes 11-1 in four matches this season. Its four goals tied a season high, set against Jacksonville.
- Eagles goalkeeper Nate Ingham picked up his league-leading fifth clean sheet of the year and the 24th of his career, just one off the A-Sun’s career record.
- FGCU has now posted shutouts in four of its last five games.
WHAT HEAD COACH CHARLES MORROW SAID
“We were outplayed tonight. We did not do a good job of taking care of the ball and ended up chasing much of the game. I am convinced that this group can be much better, but we have yet to prove we can produce quality performances with any consistency.”
Lipscomb returns home for nonconference tilt with Evansville on Tuesday, Oct. 20 at 7 p.m. It will be the first of two home matches during the week. San Diego ventures to Nashville on Saturday, Oct. 24 for a 7 p.m. contest.