NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb Men’s Soccer team will return to the pitch at 7 p.m. on Thursday to take on a familiar foe in Mercer in the Music City in nonconference action.
The Bears (3-1), a charter member of the ASUN dating back to 1978, fled its 35-year home to become a member of the Southern Conference in 2014.
The matchup between the old league rivals will mark the 17th meeting in the all-time series with Mercer leading 11-3-2.
Lipscomb (2-1) will look to get back on track after its 4-1 setback at Georgia State last weekend. The Bisons entered the match undefeated and had not allowed a goal. Lipscomb took a 1-0 lead into the half behind a goal from Logan Paynter before the Panthers responded with four second-half goals to get the result.
There will be live stats available for the match.
The Bears enter the game tied for the best record in the SoCon. Their highlight win came on August 30 when they knocked off No. 24 South Carolina, 3-2, in double overtime on the road. It marked the first victory for Mercer over USC in program history.
Mercer has scored six goals on the year with all six coming off the foot of different players. In addition, five players have also tallied an assist.
Conner Antley is tops on the squad with four points off of a goal and two helpers.
The Bears have seen two players spilt time in net, but it is Jeremy Booth who has made three starts. In 282:05 minutes of action he has allowed five goals and came away with 14 saves. JR DeRose started one match and picked up two saves while preserving a clean sheet.
Mercer last visited the Lipscomb Soccer Complex in 2013 for the regular season finale. The Bears took a 2-1 victory in double overtime.
- The Bisons have outshot its opponents 33-22 this season, including 18-9 shots on target. They also have a 17-7 corner kick advantage.
- Paynter leads the ASUN and ranks eighth in the NCAA with four goals this season. He has scored in all three matches. He is also tops in total points with nine.
- Paynter is seventh nationally with 1.33 goals per game and 3.00 points per match.
- Averaging 2.33 goals per match, Lipscomb’s offense ranks 23rd in the nation.
- The Bisons lead the conference with seven assists. All have come from different players.
- Senior keeper Micah Bledsoe leads the ASUN with two shutouts this season. He has 12 for his career.
- Lipscomb will carry a perfect 2-0 record at home into the match.
- Mercer has outshot its opponents 56-40 on the year, including a 25-21 on-goal advantage.
- Lipscomb and Mercer met in Macon, Georgia last season with the Bears getting a 1-0 win with the game-winner coming in the 78th
Lipscomb will host Belmont in the Battle of the Boulevard next Tuesday, September 13th at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex. Game time is set for 7 p.m.