|September 13, 2016||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||11:02||LEIJA, Javier (PAYNTER, Logan , CHAVEZ, Josue)|
|BEL||47:57||BAILEY, Stephen (BORGEL, Sam )|
|LIP||50:47||VIEIRA, Daniel (CHAVEZ, Josue )|
|LIP||82:48||PAYNTER, Logan (BRAUMULLER, Brandon )|
|BEL||86:59||JONES, Elliot (CROGNALE, Eli )|
|Stats at a Glance||BEL||LIP|
|Shots (on Goal)||8 (6)||22 (12)|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s soccer team played its best game of the season in what was one of the biggest games of the year: the “Battle of the Boulevard”.
Coming off two disappointing losses in their last two matches, the Bisons bounced back in a big way to get goals from four different players and throttle the Bruins 4-2 Tuesday night at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex and bring the Red Bull Trophy back home.
Lipscomb is now 8-1-2 against the Bruins dating back to 2006.
The Purple and Gold wasted little time in jumping on the crosstown rivals with goals in the 12th and 13th minutes.
After Belmont got on the board early in the second half, Lipscomb responded with another goal three minutes later before adding an insurance tally in the final 10 minutes to burry any chance the Bruins had of a comeback.
The win improves Lipscomb to 3-2 on the season while Belmont falls to 1-4-1.
12’- LIPSCOMB: Javier Leija put the Bisons on top early after he finished off a three-man attack from just outside the right post. The freshman got the break started as he played a ball to Jose Chavez at the top of the box. Chavez then bounced it to the right side of the box for Logan Paynter, who one-timed a cross that Leija connected on and buried a header inside the post as he went flying over the end line.
“I thought the first 15-20 minutes our energy was great and it helped us get the lead,” Leija said. “I am happy to get my first goal, but the goal is to keep working and getting better to score more and help the team.
“I feel this is a turning point for us in the season and hopefully we can carry this momentum over into each game.”
13’ – LIPSCOMB: Ivan Sakou doubled Lipscomb’s lead one minute later after winning a throw-in from the far sideline before he dribbled around a Bruin and rolled a shot across the box and into the left side of the net past the diving keeper.
48’ – BELMONT: The Bruins got on the board early in the second half when Stephen Bailey planted a header near the left post off a cross from Sam Borgel.
51’ – LIPSCOMB: Daniel Vieira pushed the lead back out to 3-1 for the Bisons after receiving a pass from Chavez and curling it inside the upper left 90 for his first goal of the season.
83’ – LIPSCOMB: Paynter tacked on an insurance tally in the 83rd minute to make it 4-1 in Lipscomb’s favor. The sophomore caught a cross from Brandon Braumuller and hit a laser that split two Belmont defenders and went in the upper left corner for his fifth goal of the season.
87’ – BELMONT: Elliot Jones scored the final goal with a goal from the left side of the box off a pass from Eli Crognale.
WHAT HEAD COACH CHARLES MORROW SAID:
“We are really happy to get the win tonight and bring the trophy back to our campus. It was a good game for us as we get closer to conference play.
“Coming off of two losses, we definitely needed it. We were able to get some guys back and I think that helped us in getting back in a groove attacking wise.
“We felt really good in the chances we had, but on the other end, we were disappointed that we gave up two goals. Our main goal as a team in the second half was to not allow a shot and we feel our guys were capable of that.
“We still have some work to do defensively, not that I think that is a weakness of ours, but it is an area we could definitely get better on.
“The crowd support tonight was unbelievable. That type of energy, whether the students and fans know it, our guys really feed off of them. We are going to need it going forward going forward the rest of the season, so let’s fill the hill every game.”
- Lipscomb now leads the all-time series 8-6-2, including a 4-2-1 advantage at home.
- Paynter’s late goal is his ASUN-leading fifth of the season.
- Vieira scored his first goal of the year and the third of his career. All three have come in the last two seasons.
- Sakou’s goal was his second of the season. He is second on the team with five points.
- Six different Bisons have now scored a goal this season and nine have an assist.
- Lipscomb outshot Belmont 22-8, including 13-4 in the second half. The Bisons also won the shots-on-goal 12 to six.
- Lipscomb held a 9-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- Chavez made his first start of the season after coming off the bench against Mercer. He recorded his first multi-assist game in the win, giving him his first points of the season and the sixth and seventh assists of his career.
- Senior keeper Micah Bledsoe notched four saves in the win. He also picked up his 20th career victory between the pipes.
- Leija paced the team with five shots, while Sakou and Paynter each recorded four.
Lipscomb hits the pitch Saturday September 18th when it travels to SIU Edwardsville. Game time is scheduled for 7 p.m.