NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Coming off of one of its biggest victories of the year, the Lipscomb (3-2-0) men’s soccer team is looking to build upon that win with a Saturday showdown at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.
The Bisons are set to take on SIUE at 7 p.m. on Saturday at Bob Guelker Field in Edwardsville, Illinois.
Lipscomb and SIUE have met just once previously on the pitch. The Cougars earned a 3-2 win at home in 2011.
There will be live stats and a video stream via the SIUE Cougar Network available for those unable to attend.
LAST TIME OUT:
The Bisons last outing resulted in one of their most important wins of the season, a 4-2 home victory over rival Belmont in the Battle of the Boulevard.
The Lipscomb offense fired a season-high 22 shots in the win, out-pacing the Bruins by 14 shots.
Four different Bisons scored in the onslaught (senior Daniel Vieira, sophomore Logan Paynter, and freshmen Javier Leija and Ivan Sakou.
SCOUTING SIUE (1-2-2):
Head Coach Mario Sanchez enters his second season at the helm of the SIUE program where he has compiled a 14-6-4 overall record.
The Bruins opened the season with back-to-back ties against Northern Illinois and Valparaiso at home.
The Cougars lone win also came at home with a 1-0 score against CSUN.
Senior defender Austin Ledbetter leads SIUE with two goals on the season for a total of four points.
The team has compiled just three goals and one assist so far on the season, having been shut out on four occasions.
On the defensive side, junior goalkeeper Kyle Del Santo has posted two shutouts and has started all five outings.
- Paynter moved into the top-10 nationally with his fifth goal in as many matches this season.
- He is one of five players in Division I that average 1.00 or more goals per game entering this weekend’s action.
- Senior Josue Chavez was back in the starting lineup against Belmont and produced two assists. He sits on seven career assists now, third most among active ASUN players.
- Lipscomb’s 11 total assists on 11 goals is ranked 21st in the nation.
- Junior Ivan Alvarado is tied for the ASUN career lead in total points with 28. He is tied with FGCU’s Albert Ruiz.
- Paynter is tied with Ruiz for the ASUN career goals lead with 11.
- The Purple and Gold are ranked 22nd in the nation at 6.60 points per game, 23rd in goals per game at 2.20.
- Senior goalkeeper Micah Bledsoe has compiled two shutouts and 14 saves on the year.
Lipscomb returns to action Wednesday, September 21 when it hosts Stetson in the ASUN opener in Nashville. Match time is set for 7 p.m. and will be shown live on ASUNTV.