|September 21, 2016||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||49:04||REZA, Eduardo (SAKOU, Ivan )|
|LIP||76:55||CHAVEZ, Josue (BRAUMULLER, Brandon )|
|Stats at a Glance||STET||LIP|
|Shots (on Goal)||7 (3)||10 (5)|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s soccer team begins Atlantic Sun Conference play Wednesday when the Stetson Hatters invade the “Music City” for a 7 p.m. tilt.
The Bisons (4-2) enter the match riding a two-game win streak after picking up victories over Belmont and SIUE last week.
There will be live stats and a video stream via ASUNTV available for those unable to attend.
In the latest National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Southeast Region rankings Lipscomb finds itself at No. 9.
In the first poll of the season on August 31, the Bisons debuted at No. 3, marking the highest region ranking in program history. After back-to-back losses to begin the month of September Lipscomb fell out of the poll.
Florida Gulf Coast at No. 3 and North Florida at No. 5 are the only other ASUN members in the top-10.
LAST TIME OUT:
The Bisons last outing resulted in a 1-0 double overtime win on the road at SIUE, their first road win of the season. They managed just two wins away from home a year ago. After battling for 90 minutes in a scoreless match, the game went into two overtimes. Junior and VCU transfer Ivan Sakou netted the game-winner in the 109th minute of action.
Sakou rushed in on a corner kick and found himself in perfect position as the Cougars tried to clear the ball out of the box and instead Sakou took it off his chest and put in between the pipes for the victory.
Stetson brings to Nashville a 2-3-2 overall record and a three-game losing streak. Its last victory came on September 5th, a 1-0 shutout of UNC-Asheville.
Offensively the Hatters have been outscored 9-8 and outshot 116-66.
Sophomore midfielder Luke Ferreira leads the way with seven total points. He has two goals and three assists. Freshman forward Gabriel Diniz is just behind with six points on two goals and two assists.
Senior keeper Paul Ladwig has been as good as they come in net. He ranks fourth in the NCAA with 40 total saves and seventh with 5.71 saves per match. His .816 save percentage is 33rd best.
The match will be the 14th meeting in the all-time series between the two schools, dating back to 2003. The Hatters hold an 8-3-2 advantage against the Bisons. Lipscomb won last season’s meeting 3-0 in DeLand, Florida to clinch the No. 3 seed in the ASUN Tournament. It was also the 100th career victory of head coach Charles Morrow.
- Lipscomb is 3-1 at home this season with the only loss coming to Mercer.
- The Bisons have won each of their last two conference openers, one at home and one on the road against USC Upstate.
- Sophomore Logan Paynter paces Lipscomb with five goals and 12 points. He ranks 16th in the nation in points per game (2.00) and 21st in total goals. He ranks second in the ASUN in goals and points.
- Paynter is second on the ASUN active career goal leaders with 11. FGCU's Albert Ruiz is tops with 16.
- Sakou, with three scores, is the only other Bison to have scored multiple goals on the season. He is second on the team with seven points.
- Junior Ivan Alvarado is second on the ASUN active career leaders in total points with 28. He trails only Ruiz (37). Alvarado is tops on the active assists leaders with 12. No other player has more than eight. Josue Chavez sits third with seven helpers.
- As a team Lipscomb is averaging 2.00 goals per match. That is good enough for 28th in the country.
- Nine different Bisons have accumulated a goal and nine have also added an assist.
- With 1.83 assists per match, the Bisons stand 35th across the NCAA.
- Senior keeper Micah Bledsoe picked up his third shutout of the season last weekend at SIUE. He currently sits 11th on the ASUN career charts with 13 career clean sheets.
- The team’s 0.50 shutout percentage is 23rd in the nation.
Lipscomb begins a three-game road trip at Jacksonville on Saturday September 24th at 6 p.m. The Bisons will then travel to Kentucky (Sept. 28) and North Florida (Oct. 1).