|September 21, 2016||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||49:04||REZA, Eduardo (SAKOU, Ivan )|
|LIP||76:55||CHAVEZ, Josue (BRAUMULLER, Brandon )|
|Stats at a Glance||STET||LIP|
|Shots (on Goal)||7 (3)||10 (5)|
NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb (5-2, 1-0) men’s soccer team opened up Atlantic Sun Conference play with a 2-0 win against Stetson (2-4-2, 0-1) on Wednesday night at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.
"It was a little bit of an uncharacteristic game for us," Lipscomb men's soccer head coach Charles Morrow said. "I think the amount of games that are mid-week/weekend are catching up with the guys. They will get used to that and get more accustomed to that as the season goes on.
"I thought we had heavy legs tonight. We saw a lot of sibstitutes. It was good to see guys step up and contribute the way that they did."
After playing a scoreless opening half of action, Eduardo Reza scored the go-ahead goal for the Bisons in the 50th minute.
"After the first goal, the field opened up," Reza said. "We were able to play more, and we just wanted to get the second one. We knew we had it in us, and we just had to keep fighting."
The junior midfielder rocketed in a goal from just outside the box. Freshman Daniel Mühlbauer played a ball to junior Ivan Sakou who set up Reza for the scoring strike.
Later in the half Josue Chavez secured the victory with an insurance tally in the 77th minute. Junior Brandon Braumuller played a low cross from the right end line to the middle of the box where it found Chavez for a left-footed shot inside the left post.
"It was definitely a great night to get our first conference win," Chavez said. "It's one of those things where if you can get your first conference win under your belt, it sets the mentality and the tone for the rest of the season. Hopefully we can take this win and carry on into the rest of conference play."
Goalkeeper Micah Bledsoe earned the shutout in net for the Bisons, his fourth of the season and 14th for this career. He is now tied for 10th all-time in ASUN history for career shutouts.
The Bisons have allowed a league-low seven goals on the season.
"It was great that we came away with a 2-0 win," Morrow said. "It's exactly the way we want to start conference play with three points. Every point is so crucial and important.
"We'll take lessons that we learned from today in terms of energy, intensity, and just the want behind all that, and hopefully learn from those lessons and take the three points. We look forward to playing Jacksonville later this week on Saturday for another big conference matchup."
- Stetson now leads the all-time series at 8-4-2, but the Bisons have won the last three in the matchup, including back-to-back shutouts.
- Lipscomb improved to 4-1 on its home turf.
- Both Reza and Chavez notched their first goals of the year. The assists from Sakou and Braumuller where their seconds.
- Lipscomb now has eight different players who have scored goals this season.
- ASUN Preseason Player of the Year Ivan Alvarado made his first start of the season after coming off the bench in the previous four.
- Reza paced the squad with four shot attempts. Alvarado finished with three.
- On the season the Bisons have scored 14 goals on 13 assists, good enough for second in the league.
- Lipscomb outshot the Hatters 10-7, with a 5-3 shots-on-goal advantage.
- The game was a physical one throughout, with the Bisons compiling 14 fouls and the Hatters earning 10. There were also three yellow cards in the match.
- The Purple and Gold won the corner kick battle 6-1.
UP NEXT: The Bisons will continue ASUN action on Saturday at 6 p.m. on the road against the Jacksonville Dolphins.