|September 24, 2016||1st||2nd||1OT||2OT||Final|
|JU||79:02||ESCOBEDO, Alberto (FERREIRA, Igor , HOPKINS, Mitchell)|
|JU||101:45||FERREIRA, Igor (LIMA, Ivo )|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||JU|
|Shots (on Goal)||10 (5)||13 (8)|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s soccer team travels south to the Sunshine State this weekend looking to make history.
The Bisons (5-2, 1-0 ASUN) are set to take on the Dolphins of Jacksonville in their first ASUN Conference road match of the season Saturday at 6 p.m.
Fresh off a conference-opening win over Stetson earlier in the week, Lipscomb will be looking for a 2-0 start in league play for the first time in program history.
The match will feature live stats and will also be broadcasted live on ESPN3.
When the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) released its newest rankings on Monday, Lipscomb found itself at No. 9 in the Southeast Region Poll.
The Bisons debuted at No. 3 in the first poll of the season on August 31 after picking up wins over Florida Atlantic and Western Illinois in the first two matches of the season. But following back-to-back losses they were on the outside looking in.
Florida Gulf Coast at No. 3 and North Florida at No. 5 are the only other ASUN members in the top-10.
LAST TIME OUT:
The Bisons (5-2, 1-0 ASUN) got two second-half goals from junior Eduardo Reza and senior Josue Chavez to secure a victory over Stetson and earn an important three points. Ivan Sakou and Brandon Braumuller were each credited with an assist.
Lipscomb outshot Stetson 10-7, including 5-3 in shots on goal. The Bisons also out-cornered the Hatters 6-1.
The Dolphins enter the match 3-5 overall and 0-1 in league play. Earlier in the week JU met NJIT on the pitch and dropped a 1-0 decision, pushing its losing streak to three games.
Kai Bennet paces the offense with four goals and nine points. Ignazio Muccilli with two goals is the only other player with multiple scores this season.
JU is outshooting its opponents 102-90, but it has been outscored 13-10 by the opposition.
Goalkeeper Patrick Harding has drawn a team-high six starts in net and has compiled a 2-4 record. He has allowed nine goals in 539:42 minutes of action to go along with 13 saves.
The all-time series between the schools is tied 9-9 thanks to Lipscomb winning the last five matches and seven of the last eight against the Dolphins. The Bisons have outscored JU 16-5 in their last seven wins, dating back to 2009.
Lipscomb downed the Dolphins 3-2 last season in Nashville. After the Bisons went on top early 1-0, Jacksonville came back to score twice and take a lead into the half. Kevin McMahon and Matt Kerridge responded with critical goals in the final 30 minutes of action to seal the victory.
- Lipscomb is 1-1 on the road this season with its win coming last weekend at SIU-Edwardsville.
- The Bisons boast eight different players with at least one tally this year.
- 49.4 percent of the Lipscomb's shots taken are on target, the best shot-on-goal percentage in the ASUN entering this weekend. Among players with five or more shots, Chavez (.833) and Logan Paynter (.750) are the top individuals on the squad.
- Lipscomb stands 28th in the nation with 14 total goals this season.
- Paynter paces Lipscomb with five goals and 12 points. He ranks 24th in total goals and 27thin the nation in points per game (1.71). He ranks second in the ASUN in goals and points.
- Goalkeeper Micah Bledsoe earned his league-leading fourth shutout in the 2-0 win vs. Stetson. He now is tied for 10th on the ASUN's all-time career shutout list. He is five shutouts away from breaking into the top-five. His single-season best mark sits at six shutouts in 2013.
- Paynter is second on the ASUN active career goal leaders with 11. FGCU's Albert Ruiz is tops with 16.
- Sakou, with three scores, is the only other Bison to have scored multiple goals on the season. He is second on the team with seven points.
- Junior Ivan Alvarado is second on the ASUN active career leaders in total points with 28. Paynter (24) and Josue Chavez (23) are fifth and sixth, respectively.
- Alvarado is tops on the active assists leaders with 12. No other player has more than eight. Josue Chavez sits third with seven helpers.
- As a team Lipscomb is averaging 2.00 goals per match. That is good enough for 27thin the country.
- The team’s 0.57 shutout percentage is 13thin the nation.
- With 1.86 assists per match, the Bisons stand 33rdacross the NCAA.
The Bisons take a break from conference play next Wednesday to travel to the Bluegrass State where they will take on the Kentucky Wildcats. The regional matchup in Lexington is slated for 6 p.m. and will be broadcasted live on SEC Network+.