NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s soccer team will host UAB Tuesday at 5 p.m. in the team’s final home nonconference game of the season at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.
The Bisons (6-5-1, 2-2 ASUN) are coming off a 2-1 come-from-behind victory over USC Upstate on Saturday.
Upstate took control early, but the Bisons got two second-half goals from Logan Paynter to earn a big three points in conference play.
A friendly reminder to all fans planning to attend the match: Parking will be at a premium and no spots will be available on campus due to the Dove Awards taking place in Allen Arena that evening.
Fans can park in the Stokes lot and walk to the field. The lot is located on the west side of Belmont Boulevard and just north of the Glen Echo intersection.
There will be no video stream for Tuesday’s match, but there will be live stats available.
Senior goalkeeper Micah Bledsoe and Paynter were both recognized for their performances on the pitch last week.
Bledsoe was named ASUN Defensive Player of the Week after leading Lipscomb over Upstate on Saturday. He picked up his sixth win of the season and stopped two balls in the process. It is the second time this season and the fifth time of his career Bledsoe brought home the weekly honor.
Paynter found himself on the College Soccer News National Team of the Week after scoring both goals in the Bisons victory over the Spartans.
With Lipscomb trailing, Paynter leveled the match in the 65th minute with a goal off a corner kick before delivering the game-winner in the 89th minute off a nice give-and-go from Ivan Alvarado. It is the first time CSN has honored Paynter.
The Blazers (6-3-3) enter Tuesday with a two-game winning streak after knocking off No. 15 Kentucky 2-1 this past weekend, but they have yet to earn a decision on the road, going 0-1-2.
UAB is led offensively by Massimo Ferrin and Henrique Sposito who have three goals each.
Defensively Joe Kuzminsky is one of the top netminders in the country. His .865 save percentage is seventh best in the nation while his .553 goals against average ranks 16th. He has 45 saves and five shutouts to his name.
Although they have been outshot, the Blazers have outscored their opponents 15-8 this season.
- A win Tuesday night would give the Bisons a program record six wins at home. They are currently 5-2 and are tied with the 2014 for the most in a single season.
- Lipscomb trails the all-time series with UAB 3-0. The last time the two teams met in the regular season was in 2012 when No. 24 UAB earned a 3-0 decision in Birmingham.
- Paynter ranks third in the ASUN with seven goals and 16 total points. His seven scores rank 25th in the nation.
- He moved into fifth on the program’s all-time scoring chart with 13 career goals. He is just two scores from third place.
- Alvarado notched his first two assists of the season in the win over Upstate. He now has 14 helpers for his career, six more than any active player in the ASUN. He finished with eight as freshman and added four more in 2015.
- Ten players have contributed to the 17 assists for Lipscomb this season. Ivan Sakou paces the team with three.
- Sakou stands second on the Bisons with nine points with three goals and three assists.
- Alvarado (32) is second, Paynter (28) is third and Josue Chavez (25) is fifth on the ASUN active career point leaders.
- Paynter (13) is second while Alvarado (9) and Chavez (9) are tied for sixth on the active career goals chart.
- Alvarado (14) is the leader in active career assists, while Chavez (7) is tied for third.
- The Bisons have been consistent in putting pressure on the opposing team's defenses this season. They lead the ASUN with 80 corner kicks, including nine matches this year with six or more corners won. The Bisons rank second in the league with 16 goals scored.
Lipscomb will hit the road for its final road swing of the season, but not before getting some deserved time off. The Bisons will have 11 days between games before going to NJIT for the first time in program history on Saturday Oct. 22 at 1 p.m.