NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s soccer team knocked off UAB 1-0 Tuesday night at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.
“I thought we did a great job of attacking UAB tonight,” Lipscomb head coach Charles Morrow said. “I thought our midfield played fantastic and it was a big point of emphasis to win first and second balls, and I thought we did that.”
The Bisons got the game-winner off the foot of junior forward Ivan Sakou in the 54th minute and then played fantastic defense the rest of the way to secure one of the biggest wins of the season for the program.
Senior keeper Micah Bledsoe earned his fifth shutout of the season and the 15th of his career while notching three saves.
Lipscomb improved to 7-5-1 on the year with the win while UAB falls to 6-4-3.
54’ – LIPSCOMB: Freshman John Wynia played a through ball to Logan Paynter who made a great run down the far side of the pitch, pulling the UAB keeper towards the near post. The sophomore then crossed the ball to Sakou who rolled the ball across the end line from five yards out.
- The victory gives the Bisons six wins (6-2) at home this season, a program record for a single season.
- The win was the first against UAB in program history. The Blazers lead 3-1.
- Sakou’s goal was his fourth of the year, second-most on the team.
- Paynter’s assist gives him a team-high three on the campaign.
- Wynia notched his first career point with the helper on Sakou's score.
- Lipscomb outshot UAB 13-7, including a 10-3 advantage in shots on goal.
- Paynter paced the team with five shots. He placed four on target.
“I thought Logan gave them all they wanted today,” Morrow said. “We were able to find him high and wide any time we wanted.”
Lipscomb will hit the road for its final road swing of the season, but not before getting some deserved time off. The Bisons will have 11 days between games before going to NJIT for the first time in program history on Saturday Oct. 22 at 1 p.m.