|October 22, 2016||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||11:26||SAKOU, Ivan (ALVARADO, Ivan )|
|LIP||37:56||CHAVEZ, Josue (KERRIDGE, Joe )|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||NJIT|
|Shots (on Goal)||19 (14)||5 (4)|
TEANECK, N.J. – Lipscomb men’s soccer makes their first-ever visit to New Jersey this weekend when the Bisons face the second-year ASUN Conference member NJIT at 5 p.m. Saturday on the campus of Farleigh Dickinson.
The Bisons (7-5-1 overall, 2-2 ASUN) should be fresh for the match after having not played in 11 days, their longest such break of the season. Lipscomb’s last match came October 11 when it knocked off visiting UAB, 1-0, at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex behind Ivan Sakou’s goal in the 54th minute.
Lipscomb can clinch its spot in the ASUN Tournament with a win against the Highlanders or a draw coupled with losses from both Stetson and Upstate.
Saturday’s match, originally slated for 1 p.m., was moved to a Farliegh Dickinson’s turf field due to the weather in the area.
Live stats will be available to those unable to make the trip. ASUNTV, at this time, will still broadcast the match, unless it is raining at kickoff.
Earlier this week the Bisons found themselves ranked No. 10 in the latest edition of the NSCAA South Region Poll. It marks the third time this season the Bisons have been ranked, including a program best No. 3-ranking in late August.
The Highlanders (7-4-3, 3-1) are in their first season of men’s soccer in the ASUN after playing last season in the Sun Belt Conference. NJIT has won two straight entering play on Saturday – a road match at Rutgers and a home tilt with USC Upstate – and will be looking to clinch a spot in the conference tournament.
Mamadou Guirassy and Rene White share the team lead with six goals each, making them the second-highest scoring duo in the league with 12 combined scores. Guirassay has found the net in three of his last four outings.
Keeper Victor Pujades is fresh off his first-ever ASUN Defenseive Player of the Week honor after posting his third consecutive shutout. He has already broken the school’s single-season Division I era record and leads the ASUN with seven clean sheets.
- Lipscomb picked up its seventh win of the season against UAB, surpassing last season's win total. UAB entered the match with an RPI of 67, giving Lipscomb its best non-conference win of the year.
- The Bisons look for their first conference road win of the season when they travel to face NJIT on the weekend. Lipscomb's offense has only scored four away goals in five matches, while scoring 15 at home. Lipscomb and NJIT will meet for the first time this Saturday.
- NJIT is 1-3-1 at home this season while Lipscomb is 1-3-1 on the road.
- Logan Paynter leads the team and ranks third in the ASUN with seven goals and 17 total points.
- Ivan Alvarado (32), Paynter (29) and Josue Chavez (26) rank second, third and seventh among the ASUN active career points leaders, respectively.
- Paynter (13) also stands second on the active career goals leaders while Alvarado and Chavez are tied for seventh with nine.
- Alvarado leads all active ASUN players with 14 career assists – five more than any other player. Chavez stands third with seven.
- Keeper Micah Bledsoe notched his fifth shutout of the season against UAB. He is now tied for eighth all-time on the ASUN career shutouts list with 15. He needs two more to move to seventh.
- With 19 total goals Lipscomb holds the third-best scoring offense in the league. NJIT is fourth with 18.
- Lipscomb’s 19 total assists are second most in the ASUN behind FGCU’s 36.
- Sakou is second on the team in goals (4) and total points (11). He is tied with Paynter for a team-high three assists.
- Chavez is the only other Bison with multi goals this season, he has two.
Lipscomb makes its last road trip of the season Tuesday, October 25 when the Bisons travel to take on Evansville at 7 p.m.