|October 25, 2016||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||5:15||PAYNTER, Logan (EAGER, Austin , CHAVEZ, Josue)|
|UE||85:39||Stafford Lacey, J. (Blaydes, Zac , Baum, Trevor)|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||UE|
|Shots (on Goal)||9 (3)||8 (4)|
EVANSVILLE, Ind. – The Lipscomb men's soccer team continued to roll with an impressive 2-1 road win over a solid Evansville club Tuesday night at Arad McCutchan Stadium.
“It was good to get the result tonight,” Lipscomb head coach Charles Morrow said. “We did exactly what we were looking to accomplish. We got an early lead before adding another late in the half and then did a good job of managing the game the rest of the way.
“Their (UE) goal came late on an unbelievable attempt. Give credit to Evansville, they played tough.”
The win takes Lipscomb’s record to 9-5-1 on the season while Evansville falls to 8-7-2 with the loss.
Logan Paynter and Malik Shaheed contributed first-half goals and the defense held strong to help give the Bisons their longest winning streak of the season at four matches.
“We are really playing well right now,” Morrow said. “Everyone is coming together and it is coming at the right time of the year as we approach postseason play. We will now go into the FGCU game feeling good about where we stand.”
6' – LIPSCOMB – After winning a corner kick just past the five-minute mark, senior Josue Chavez played a ball to freshman defender Austin Eager in the box who found Paynter for a header at the far post.
44' – LIPSCOMB – As halftime was approaching Shaheed was pulled down in the box for a penalty. The freshman wanted the opportunity so he stepped up buried the kick past the keeper for his first career goal.
“Malik is such a good kid and someone who has really worked hard this year, so we are all happy for him,” Morrow said. “He is a guy that certainly a guy that gives it his all when he is on the field.”
86' – EVANSVILLE – Jesse Stafford Lacey found a ball off a corner kick and finished it from long range.
- Lipscomb pulled even with Evansville in the all-time series at 3-3-2 and has now won the last two meetings.
- Paynter’s goal was his fourth in four games and added to his team-leading total of nine on the season.
- In only 32 career matches Paynter now has 15 goals, tying him with Luke Gearin for the third-most in program history.
- Shaheed’s score gives him three points on the season. He marks the 10th different Bison to score a goal on the season.
- Senior keeper Micah Bledsoe turned away three shots. With nine wins between the pipes the Cincinnati native is now just one victory shy of tying Nate Davis for the most wins in a single season in program history.
- Chavez joins Paynter, Ivan Sakou and Ivan Alvarado for the team lead in assists with three on the year.
- Eager's assist was his second.
- Lipscomb outshot UE 9-8, but what outshot 4-3 on target.
- 19 different players saw the pitch for Lipscomb Tuesday night.
- The Bisons improve to 3-3-1 on the road.
The Bisons return home for a big match with No. 20 Florida Gulf Coast Saturday night at 7 p.m. Not only will the match will see the seniors get recognized in a pregame ceremony, but it is also in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness. Fans are encouraged to come out and support your team for a great cause.
“Saturday is a big night for us with everything that is going on,” Morrow said. “We try to treat every game of the season like it is the biggest of the year and while certainly the implications of this match will be a little different, it will be like every other game we have played this season.
“If we focus and play like we are capable, I think we will come out alright.”