|November 03, 2016||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||26:01||PAYNTER, Logan (EAGER, Austin )|
|LIP||31:13||SAKOU, Ivan (ALVARADO, Ivan )|
|Stats at a Glance||STET||LIP|
|Shots (on Goal)||6 (3)||23 (9)|
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Postseason play begins for Lipscomb Men’s Soccer Thursday in the opening round of the ASUN Championship when the No. 3 Bisons will take on No. 6 Stetson in a 6 p.m. match at the FGCU Soccer Complex in Fort Myers, Florida. The match will be streamed live on ESPN3 or the WatchESPN app and will also have live stats.
The winner of Thursday's match will face No. 2 seed FGCU in the semifinals, 6 p.m., Saturday. The ASUN Championship game is Saturday, Nov. 12 at the site of the highest remaining seed.
Lipscomb is making its 10th-consecutive trip to the conference tournament, the longest active streak in the league, and will be seeking a first-ever tournament title.
The Bisons have never advanced to the championship round and have fallen victim in the semifinals in seven of the last nine seasons.
Lipscomb (9-5-2, 3-2-1)
Stetson (4-9-2, 1-5-0)
LAST TIME OUT:
Lipscomb closed the regular season Saturday with a 1-1 draw at home against No. 20 FGCU to clinch the No. 3 seed. After falling behind 1-0 in the first half, the Bisons got a first-career goal from Joe Kerridge in the 52nd minute when he struck a laser from 30 yards out to beat the keeper near post.
The Bisons had plenty of chances through the remainder of the match and the two overtime periods, but they could never capitalize.
Led by ASUN Goalkeeper of the Year and First Team All-Conference member, Paul Ladwig, the Hatters enter the matchup losers of their last two games. They have been outscored 27-15 and outshot 252-165 on the season.
Sophomore midfielder Luke Ferreira, a second team All-Conference selection, paces the Stetson attack with a team-leading 12 points on four goals and four assists. All-Freshman member Gabriel Diniz is just behind with eight points on three scores and two helpers.
Ladwig leads the conference with 86 stops and ranks second with a .761 saves percentage. The senior has allowed 27 goals, an average of 1.72 per outing.
The match will be the 15th meeting in the all-time series between the two schools dating back to 2003, but it will be the first time the two programs have ever met in the postseason.
Although the Hatters hold an 8-4-2 advantage over the Bisons, Lipscomb has won the last two meetings and three of the last four against Stetson.
Earlier in the season Lipscomb hosted Stetson in the conference opener and came away with a 2-0 decision. After playing nil in the first half, the Bisons scored in the 50th and 77th minutes off the feet of Josue Chavez and Eduardo Reza to capture the victory.
Six players were honored earlier Wednesday when the league office released the 2016 ASUN All-Conference Team.
Logan Paynter and Ivan Alvarado repeated as first team selections and were joined by Joe Kerridge. Ivan Sakou and Scout Monteith landed a spot on the second team, while Austin Eager was voted to the All-Freshman team.
Alvarado becomes the 14th player in league history to earn three first team honors.
- Lipscomb is one of the league’s hottest teams and will enter Thursday 4-0-1 in its last five matches. It leads the ASUN in shots on-goal percentage (.518) and corner kicks (102).
- The Bisons are averaging 6.44 shots on goal per match, the 24thbest total in the nation.
- Paynter leads the team and ranks 32ndin the country with nine goals. He ranks third in the ASUN in both goals and points (21).
- Paynter is looking to become the fourth player in program history to score double-digit goals in a single season. Garret Pettis holds the top mark with 12 in 2008.
- In only 33 career matches Paynter now has 15 goals, tying him with Luke Gearin for the third-most in program history.
- With nine wins between the pipes senior keeper Micah Bledsoe is now just one victory shy of tying Nate Davis (2014) for the most wins in a single season in program history.
- Bledsoe (189) needs just three saves to become the school’s all-time saves leader. Brent McGee (2008-11) is the current record holder with 191.
- Bledsoe’s 1.12 GAA ranks third in the ASUN this season while his 41 saves and .732 save percentage are fifth most.
- Bledsoe is second in the league with five clean sheets. He is eighth on the all-time career shutouts list in ASUN history with 15.
- Ivan Sakou is second on the team with five goals and 13 total points.
- Sakou, Paynter and Chavez are all tied for the team lead with three assists.
- 11 different players have scored a goal and 13 have recorded an assist for Lipscomb this season.
- The Bisons have placed 103 shots on target in 199 shot attempts.
With a win Thursday, the Bisons will advance to the semifinals on Saturday, Nov. 5, and will face the host and No. 2 seed FGCU. A loss to Stetson will end Lipscomb’s season.