|September 23, 2017||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||6:30||PAYNTER, Logan (SMITH, Kyle )|
|LIP||56:46||SAKOU, Ivan (SMITH, Kyle )|
|LIP||67:58||ALVARADO, Ivan (PAYNTER, Logan )|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||UPST|
|Shots (on Goal)||10 (6)||12 (4)|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – As the leaves start to turn and the temperatures decline, albeit slightly, the Lipscomb men’s soccer team prepares to kick off the most important part of the season, ASUN Conference play.
It’s been a first month full of exciting moments for the Bisons. The Purple and Gold are a perfect 3-0 at home. They have won two crucial overtime games against Georgia St. and San Diego, the later coming on the road.
Offensive weapons have shown out for Lipscomb. Redshirt junior Logan Paynter leads the team in goals with four and his two game winners couldn’t have been more crucial. Another big scorer from last year, senior Ivan Sakou, has also been huge scoring three times including two goals in the aforementioned win against San Diego.
Do-it-all dynamo midfielder Ivan Alvarado has provided more ammo to the attack with two assists to go along with two goals of his own. One of those assists put Alvarado’s name atop the record books for most helpers in program history with 18.
After a productive week in California the Bisons will stay on the road when they travel to USC Upstate to open the ASUN portion of their schedule on Saturday night.
This will be the 11th meeting between the ASUN opponents. The Bisons hold a 7-3 series lead. Last season when the two teams met at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex, the Bisons beat the Spartans 2-1 with two second half goals courtesy of Logan Paynter.
SCOUTING USC UPSTATE
Upstate is led by fifth year head coach Scott Halket. Prior to becoming the head coach at Upstate, Halket served in an assistant role. Halket is an alumnus of USC Upstate where he played and was a part of the 1995 NCAA DII National Runner-Up team.
The Spartans enter the contest with Lipscomb at 2-5-1 so far on the season and 0-1 in the ASUN. They opened up the ASUN soccer season on Wednesday afternoon at NJIT where they fell 2-1.
Junior Cam Philpot and senior Calon Minors lead the Spartans offense. Philpot has two of the club’s nine goals this season while Minors has contributed a goal and two assists.
Three goalies have gotten time in net for Upstate this season, but senior Santiago Restrepo has earned the lion’s share of the minutes starting six games. Restrepo got the start against the Highlanders earlier in the week.
On defense, Upstate has given up 17 goals in eight matches and ranks 182nd out of 205 qualified teams in goals against average. The Spartans have given up two or more goals in all but two games this season.
Upstate has never won more than three ASUN games in a season (2007, 2012) and has never finished higher than 4th place in the ASUN standings (2015).
- Logan Paynter has dominated USC Upstate in his Lipscomb career, scoring three times in two games against the Spartans.
- USC Upstate has accumulated 15 yellow cards to Lipscomb’s eight so far this season. The Spartans have the second most yellow cards in the ASUN.
- Due to Lipscomb senior defender Joe Kerridge’s red card in the Bisons last match against UC Irvine, Kerridge is disqualified for Saturday’s match.
- Upstate has been getting plenty of set pieces so far this season. The Spartans have taken 52 corners in eight matches, more than eight per match. That is the most in the ASUN.
- Despite registering only seven shots in their 3-0 loss to UC Irvine on Monday, the Bisons are averaging 13.4 shots per match, the highest total in the conference.
The Bisons will conclude their four-game road trip with another ASUN match, this one against Stetson, on Wednesday night at 6 p.m.